Puppy allergies/irritations

btupy

Hey guys,

I have a 5 month old female yellow lab. She has had small red bumps all over her belly area and back legs for the last few months, which cause her to itch/scratch a lot. We took her to the vet and he said its puppy zits. He gave us some special shampoo and wipes to use on her, and it has seemed to help a little. I am feeding her Purina puppy chow.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this? And is it worth a try to change dog food? Any advice/help would be great.

Will do. What brand do you recommend? This is the first dog of my own so I'm learning as I'm going.

I had an English Setter/Golder Retriever that developed similar irritation bumps on his chest back in 2003.
The vet wanted to do all kinds of tests. I believe it was the receptionist that mentioned changing food to a lamb & rice formula to see it it helped.
At the time we switched to Nutro lamb & rice and it took care of the issue.
As the price of Nutro continued to rise over the years we switched to Diamond Naturals lamb & rice with good results.

I don't know how old the puppy is but I have seen this happen when a puppy is kenneled during the day and they empty their bladder into their bedding. The irritation happens from laying in the urine soaked bedding. You may not spot it if the kennel is outside where the smell can dissipate and since they don't pee a large amount it may have time to dry. The puppy could also have food allergy in that case try foods that have little or no grain as a place to start.

I have a 9 month old GSP pup, and have been fighting various skin infections for a couple of months. One three-week course of cephalexin for "bumps" on front legs and loss of hair under his chin, then off for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, a trip back to the vet....some areas on a back leg loosing hair, getting licked, oozing some clear fluid. Vet found more infection, and other 3 weeks on antibiotics....and a "prescription" diet recommendation...Salmon and potato formula....but at $70 plus dollars for a 17# bag...that won't be a long term fix!

I will use the prescription food for a while...to see if everything clears up. Any thoughts on prescription foods, changing to an OTC formula with similar ingredients, etc...or any other helpful info???

In the same boat

I forgot to take a picture of it. But my little setter puppy has an irritation under her chin on her neck. It started the size of a dime and has spread since. Started Antibiotic 4 days ago. Vet thinks allergies as well. Culture will be back in a couple of days and Ill know more. I shaved the area and have been keeping it clean with Dawn dish soap and a thorough rinsing. No peroxide. Hopefully the Cephalexin clears it up. I thought it was her collar rubbing her at first. It did quit oozing finally.

changing foods worked for me, but I've heard coconut oil helps. Recently we used olive oil for a couple little patchs of dry skin

You can give it internally to. That's what we did with the olive oil 3/4-1 tbs every other day for 2 weeks on a 85 lb dog. The bald spots have pretty much fured back over.

You can give it internally to. That's what we did with the olive oil 3/4-1 tbs every other day for 2 weeks on a 85 lb dog. The bald spots have pretty much fured back over.

Gotcha. Im gonna wait and see if the antibiotic works. Cause I had to pay good money for it. But if its a chronic thing, gonna need a long term fix. If the olive oil seemed to work, may just try that. I hate the smell of coconut!

Back