Pup going to training for a month

Yep 1st gsp. I have a rotti too. Yea knew they were hyper too. This one is diagnosed as a 10/10 with separation anxiety by vet behaviorist who has him on trazadone which helps but he’s still a handful. We have a fenced yard he can go in all day and we take him to local gamelands to run nightly but dosent seem to slow him down lol
That is not typical GSP behavior. Don't confuse high energy with hyper, not the same at all. Have you talked to the breeder? What are the litter mates like?

Has this behavior been like this from day one?

I looked at navhda near me. They go all over. One of there places was actually where Dakota is going to be trained at. Yea I’m hoping it’s a easy fix because I loved hunting over him even at 10 months old he got 54 birds. Being a weekend warrior pretty much I just want a dog who finds birds and retrieves. Dosent have to be to my hand as long as it’s close. So we shall see

I stopped talking to the breeder as he actually trained him and shocked him for being hardmouthed. That’s why I’m in this mess sadly

Sounds like he needs more obedience, less birds. Work on Come, Heal, and Whoa.
Might have to long check cord him in the field and forgo the gun while hunting for awhile until he’s more under control. Also, as others said- a tired pup is a good pup. Good luck.

Yea being a first time gun dog owner I’m sure it’s me more then him. Having someone who knows the dog help I believe will do wonders. He’s a handful but I love the little guy.

No they didn’t seem to be. So I bought them from a hunting breeder my buddy got his from. Now I’m no dog trainer but man never had a issue getting a dog to listen u til this one. Super hyper. Like I said he has separation anxiety to the point the bites me when I leave. He’s got a great personality but needs a lot of basic work. If I have a treat or a shock collar on him he will come sit stay all that. Have no treat or no collar he basically ignores me. Dakota come he will stare at me with his toy and that’s that. Play fetch?? Forget it he will get the ball then ignore my commands. Put collar or even long lead on he listens but when he has nothing on forget it
You have made the dog collar wise. Anytime you are giving him commands you have to be able to enforce them. Don't give a command that you can't enforce, he needs to have that collar on anytime you are working him.

So how do I enforce it when he has no collar on? Like if he’s outside not training at all and I say Come and he doesn’t listen? Thanks

That’s where your basic obedience comes in. Plenty of people have non hunting dogs that don’t wear e collars and will still come.

Positive reinforcement (praise) and/ or negative reinforcement (harsh voice “no” and go and drag him to you, not hurting dog, but making him uncomfortable for not listening).

The e collar is an overlay to a command for remote reinforcement, the dog needs to know the command first.

Ok Thanks yea I’ve owned dogs my whole life including my rotti now and he listens no problem at all. This one wow he’s a whole different story. It’s funny in the house he listens well outside forget it. I’ll keep pushing Thanks

That’s where your basic obedience comes in. Plenty of people have non hunting dogs that don’t wear e collars and will still come.

Positive reinforcement (praise) and/ or negative reinforcement (harsh voice “no” and go and drag him to you, not hurting dog, but making him uncomfortable for not listening).

The e collar is an overlay to a command for remote reinforcement, the dog needs to know the command first.
Agreed. Sounds like he has used the collar for punishment and not to re-inforce what should have already been taught. Please put that e collar away and get a long check cord and a clicker. If the dog doesn't know or obey the commands, it goes no where without a check cord on it.

If I used it for punishment I didn’t intentionally for sure. So he knew come. He would come then stopped. With collar on. I’d say come and beep him. If he did not respond I’d say come if no response he’d get a nick. I’m not saying I know much about collars but I assume this is wrong?

If I used it for punishment I didn’t intentionally for sure. So he knew come. He would come then stopped. With collar on. I’d say come and beep him. If he did not respond I’d say come if no response he’d get a nick. I’m not saying I know much about collars but I assume this is wrong?
Best advice I can give you is to visit several kennels and interview different trainers and watch their dogs work. Go to at least 3 and have them break down their training programs. Then pick the best one for your dog. Obedience alone will be a 4-6 week program so look for a 3-4 month gundog program. Best of luck to you and your dog.

You've got some learning to do, and that's just fine! The dog is not sure what he is getting a nick for. You need to teach him to "turn the pressure off." After he knows all commands without the collar, then move onto the collar. Say "come" or whatever command you're working while turning on the pressure (light shock), then they obey command and learn that listening to you and following the command will turn off the negative pressure and bring on a positive reward. That is the short version... you could write a 200 page book, 2 hour video, and 2 months at the trainer to actually accomplish that.

To the original question, will will he hate you and do I know of any negatives? I know what you are feeling as I had the same worries when I sent the first lab pup I trained to a pro over two decades ago. Turned out my concerns were baseless and I suspect your's will be, as well.

I've never owned a GSP so I don't know their general personalities but I can advise that when I send a lab pup off for FF/CC (usually takes around 3 months), I've never had one come back forgetting or hating me for the experience. To the contrary, they are very happy to be home and the majority are even more eager to train than when they left.

You can put this in your "For What It's Worth File". Personally I think it's very good for my dog's development to spend some time boarding & training under a pro. An amateur owner/trainer can have a tendency to overlook issues & shortcomings when working with his own pup. The pro will quickly ascertain issues and apply the training pressure needed to correct them.

Well guys took longer to get him there then was planned. Dropped him off today. Wow I feel terrible!!! So he will be crated but gets out for hours throughout the day plus training. This may be good for him because he’s not used to being crated but man it broke my heart. Anyways 6 weeks he will be home. So he says he will work on obedience and steadiness. Says in 6 weeks he will accomplish that. As for retrieving he says we will see but may have to go back depending on his issue. He seems to think he’s just being selfish as he will pick stuff up but not bring it to us. Anyways guys just feel awful but hoping in long run it’s worth it.

Oh man 3 months may kill me away from my dog!!! Yea guy says when we go up he will come up with a game plan for us. I love hunting over this dog. He’s not perfect and I’m ok with that. I appreciate all the info had no idea these hunting dogs had so much time vested!! This one is a handful too. Has separation anxiety so bad he’s on meds. I’m hoping he can handle it
I sent my boy to K&L Kennels for 2 months and what a difference it made. It was hard to leave him that long, but it was worth it.it took him just a few hours, once he got home, to settle right back into his previous home life.

Attachments

• E4404E11-4A19-499C-86F0-8EBFE57A4932.jpeg
    E4404E11-4A19-499C-86F0-8EBFE57A4932.jpeg
    626.5 KB · Views: 4
^^^ awesome congrats to u guys. Yea part that bothered me was keeping him in a crate. Guy said it’s for the dogs safety as he’s got other dogs for training so I get it. But not something Dakota is use to. Him being alone I hope it helps with his separation anxiety

^^^ awesome congrats to u guys. Yea part that bothered me was keeping him in a crate. Guy said it’s for the dogs safety as he’s got other dogs for training so I get it. But not something Dakota is use to. Him being alone I hope it helps with his separation anxiety
I would not have sent my dog if he was going to be crated. How many kennel runs does he have and how many dogs does he have in for training? Now if he is doing it for crate training, that would make a difference as I consider it major part of training and part of obedience.

So I think there’s 2 other dogs in for hunting training right now. His thing is when they can’t be watched they’re crated so there’s not a dog fight that can’t be stopped. He has a fenced yard they all go run around in together. Dakota is not crate trained so maybe that is part of it also??

Back