Pumped for the Season to Start

BritChaser

Anybody worked up for opening weekend? I keep thinking and thinking and thinking about the upcoming pheasant season. Checked out a few of the fields in NW at the Happy Hunting Grounds and they look sweet. Great milo, heavy, long wheat stubble, and great weed and grass cover. May have to venture north for a hunt before the magic date of Nov. 14th. Went to Alma, Nebraska, one year and had good hunting around Harlan Co. Lake. Last year I went to SE ND where there were plenty of birds -- in the bumper crop of uncut corn. Took some effort to keep the dog out of the uncut corn where I was afraid I would lose him. However, if I returned to Oakes I could again dine at the Angry Beaver Inn where the food and beverages are quite good.

Addendum, 10/13/09: Booked a motel room in Alma, Nebraska, for opening weekend. Plan to hunt around Harlan County Lake. Trigger finger very itchy, possibly developing a rash.

Last edited:
you know it! i have the last week of Nov off, outside of the mandatory Thanksgiving festivities I hope to be covering the KS prairie...

I had my brittany out today and he went on a good solid point, I kicked the shrubs and out busted a rooster. I was ready to go before, but now I'm really excited. Things are looking much better than last year.

prob. heading to liberal opening weekend on some family property and they say SW kansas is much improved than last year just by the sightings from the road

Back