Pump gun

jonmac

How many of you pheasant hunt with a pump gun?
I'm planning a trip out to Kansas to hunt and am thinking I want a simple gun to hunt with.

I don't know what the fields will be like as far as getting debris in the chamber.
I have a Beretta outlander and 870 but thought about getting a new 870 to take.
The one I have is a super mag.
Just wanting something easy to field strip if needed.

I hunted with pump guns for decades and never had any problem with debris in the chamber, often hunting in head high cattails and prairie.

I used a pump gun, (ironically, the very one the OP speaks of) for about 7 seasons because it was all I could afford when I was a teenager. It was better than nothing but given a choice, I'll never carry it again because of the weight. Its like lugging around a fence post.

I would stick with the Beretta if I had a choice and be sure to clean it properly.

I hunt with model 12s regularly My buddy is a disciple of the 870 I have auto's ,sxs's, over under's I like shooting model 12s at roosters it just feels right.
More importantly I shoot what I can hit with

I wouldn't worry about debris in the gun. Highly unlikely. And I don't think that 870 is any easier to strip down than the Beretta. 870's are heavy and I would take the gun you shoot the best. I've hunted pheasants for 68 years and rarely have I had the need to strip down a gun during the season. You're making a big issue out of nothing. I would bring the 870 along as a backup.

How many of you pheasant hunt with a pump gun?
I'm planning a trip out to Kansas to hunt and am thinking I want a simple gun to hunt with.

I don't know what the fields will be like as far as getting debris in the chamber.
I have a Beretta outlander and 870 but thought about getting a new 870 to take.
The one I have is a super mag.
Just wanting something easy to field strip if needed.
I have used a pump gun for years and for me it is what I’m used to and works well.

I can’t believe people think 870s are heavy.
It's probably a matter of perception. A 12 ga. 870 will run approx. 7.5 lbs. With today's guns that would put it in the heavy catagory. I've had several 870's and they are great guns. But today most guys are looking for something lighter in the 5.75-7 lb range. When I was a younger buck I could carry a 7.5-8 lb gun all day, but as you age the weight does become an issue. Now in my 70's a really appreicate a light gun like my new A5 SweetSixteen at about 5.75 lbs.

I switched from 870 to a Beretta two years ago and love the change. The 870 is bullet proof and was money for me when it came to shooting pheasants. The adjustment to a semi-auto took a little time especially with the safety location and trying to fight muscle memory. My two cents says if you are planning a trip be overly prepared - bring two guns and use the one that you have the most confidence with. Switching pump to semi-auto and 870 to Beretta would not be comfortable at all for me. Happy hunting on your outing this fall!

My previous 870 jammed on occasion. How does a pump shotgun jam? Seems impossible but it did. One shell would get hung up with the next.

I've since used a Benelli for 17 years and not had one jam.

Agree ND Pheasant - always bring a spare gun!!
Also did the switch to semi autos 15 or so years ago - but almost always bring a pump and hunt with it a few days - longer walks = lighter semi auto -
Pumps can’t be beat for consistent reliability

Hunted Kansas my entire life and never gave a second thought as to what gun to carry based on 'getting stuff in the action'.

870's (20s and 12s), Ithaca 37s (my favorites in 20 and 16), Winchester Model 12s (just picked up a 16 to go with my grandpas 12), are the pump guns I've carried without issue. Along with Beretta 391s, A300s, and various sxs and o/u's.

Pick your poison and go shoot a bird and don't worry about it.

Shoot what you have been shooting, it is a poor time to switch guns before a big trip without having experience with it. If I knew I would have to hunt for 6 hours straight, no breaks, to get my limit, I might consider a lighter gun than my 11-87, which older fellas start to consider heavy....I would be more inclined to hunt where there are more roosters than switch guns at this point...the day may come, I am 60 now.

As you know, I usually don't get a limit, and if I do it often takes most of the day on public spots. I never understood the gun weight thing at first. Then after long days afield with 4 or 5 shells loaded I noticed the weight a little. 3 shells in and the weight and balance feels better. Last year I predominantly hunted with a 725 feather 12g that weighs about 6.5 pounds, and that seems about right. That said I'd have no issue using the 7.25# plastic gun that's painted like a cattail marsh if need be. As for a gun issue in the field, I would guess plugging the barrel would be most common, either a squib load or a stumble and muzzle going into the dirt or snow bank. In this case a break action gun is really nice because it's so easy to look down the bore. And if only one barrel is clogged you can still use it as a single shot until you get a ram rod to clear the other barrel. Pumps and repeaters can get debris in the trigger group, but those are easy to remove and clean on a tail gate or a motel bed. I usually bring a backup gun as I hunt a few hours or more from home.

I never understood the gun weight thing at first. Then after long days afield with 4 or 5 shells loaded I noticed the weight a little. 3 shells in and the weight and balance feels better.

This was me too many many years ago when I first started as a teenager. I didn't really even consider the weight. I considered the price tag, because it was all I could afford.

Fast forward a few years, both my Grandfather and Uncle, who I hunted with frequently, were using Benellis. I would pick up one of those things and the difference was obvious.

As soon as I got a real job and entered the work force, I upgraded to one. I also only use 3 shots in mine. The extra shells in the front of the magazine throw the balance of the shotgun off.

My previous 870 jammed on occasion. How does a pump shotgun jam? Seems impossible but it did. One shell would get hung up with the next.

I've since used a Benelli for 17 years and not had one jam.
I never had my 870 jam unless I short stroked it. 1000’s of rounds through it.

Back