Public land

im with you jpallen... in talking to wildlife biologist in SD about the WIA lands i was told that many times the land owner of the WIA land puts up the WIA signs himself so they dont pay SD game & fish workers or biologist to do this so many times them biologist i/we talk to dont really intimately know the WIA lands better to talk with a CO that works in that county for site specific info... so its not the SD game & fishes fault...

1 reason i feel its a waste of time & $$$ to label each WIA WA or federal or school lands on a public atlas for specific game species is that many of the public land types mentioned above are home to many species of game animals at any given time... & different times of the yr...

so lets say the state game & fish labels the area as holding pheasants then what ever happens the grass gets hayed or the hens have a bad nesting season die offs drought or what ever the case may be the pheasants are not there in good numbers or the habitat is diminished some NON RESIDENT hunter comes to the state land & finds no birds or no habitat they would cry about the lack of birds or habitat the same way they cry about it now with no animal species list or habitat description on the public hunting land atlas...

its a loose loose the kansas public land WIHA atlas dose ZERO to help narrow down what game is on what WIHA at any given time its so vague that most fall WIHA lands have most game species in the state of KS listed as being present on the WIHA thats just not the case... they dont label them WIHAs as this WIHA is mainly a PHEASANTS WIHA OR a DEER WIHA ETC. they just list every animal they think is present...

also i feel if the a states game & fish labeled a certain region or WIA WA ETC. as being a pheasant WIA ETC. you would get large groups of hunters RESIDENT but mostly NON RESIDENT hunters flocking to those certain areas & beating up the public land real hard they dont like to put tons of hunters all in 1 public land area as it makes the hunting much worse for all involved & low success rates... ive seen what happens when they name specific public lands in magazines & state hunting forcast prior to the hunting season them areas get over hunted bad & nobodys happy when that happens... well maybe the 1st few groups are happy i assume???

i feel carptom1 hit the nail on the head get yourself in a region that traditionaly holds high populations of game & scout VIA phone/internet prior to the hunt & you should be in good hands...

my biggest prob on public lands is rude hunters that just come in ontop of other groups of hunters that were at the public land prior... alot of hunters just cant or wont suck it up & just drive on to another peace of public lands when they see a party already hunting wear they wanted to hunt i feel the state game & fish should spend a little $$$ on put n up a sign at each public hunting land area that says something to the effect of treat the property & other hunters on the property the same way you want to be treated if the parking lot is full just move on!!! its sad but it needs to be said or seen for many modern hunters to get the idea!!! or they could print that in any of the PUBLIC HUNTING LAND ATLAS they release that would be a much better use of $$$ then labeling game on each public land tract in a certain state each season...???

was not directing this to anybody or ranting at anybody so save them comments... just saying why game species labels on public lands dont work...

Back