Public Land Prizes

How did you do Chestie ? Similar to last couple years ?
We actually saw as many birds the last three days as we did opening week. I limited out on Pheasants 2 of 3 days, bagging a few quail every day. We were mostly concentrating on pheasant habitat and saw Many Quail. Great hunt!! Much better than last years late season hunt. With a little luck from Mother Nature, next year could be banner.

I'm not completely sure how to convert steps to miles to be honest. I'm a short guy so I take more steps than someone who is over 6' traveling the same distance.
2200 steps is roughly a mile for me and I’m 5’8” the pace of a taller person might mean a fewer stepsto reach a mile.

Hey guys. I'm heading to southwest Kansas next Wednesday next week from NM.. Just me and my lab. Ill be hooking up with my brother and son on Friday near Utica. What habitat should I look for quail? I'm used to hunting the deserts of NM and Az. Thanks, Jake

Hey guys. I'm heading to southwest Kansas next Wednesday next week from NM.. Just me and my lab. Ill be hooking up with my brother and son on Friday near Utica. What habitat should I look for quail? I'm used to hunting the deserts of NM and Az. Thanks, Jake
When I've been quail hunting in Southern Nebraska, I'm looking for creek edges with woody cover. Edge thickets (not necessarily tree lines, but plum thickets, etc) out in CRP fields. You usually won't find bobwhites in abundance in the middle of a CRP field. They're more of an edge habitat bird.

When I've been quail hunting in Southern Nebraska, I'm looking for creek edges with woody cover. Edge thickets (not necessarily tree lines, but plum thickets, etc) out in CRP fields. You usually won't find bobwhites in abundance in the middle of a CRP field. They're more of an edge habitat bird.
Thank you for your help. Ill target those areas.

Back