Public Land Prizes

Public Land Prizes

Here are a couple pictures I took on my latest trip in the west part of our state .

I asked My cousin who has flexibility in his schedule to join me . We have been hunting together for about 4 decades and it was enjoyable to share the hunt with .

We made quite a sweep through the western Half of the state hopscotching from spot to spot .

Here is what I can tell you about my experience from the public hunting in Kansas . It very important to scout and have, A feel for bird numbers in different areas geographic areas do the state .K

We harvested birds every day of our 3 1/2 day trip . Most every property we hunted had huntable numbers of birds . Yes these were late season birds and plenty spooky . We sized up cover and hunted what we thought would likely hold birds .

I liked the freedom to roam and explore areas I have never seen or hunted before .

I scratched my head a couple times wondering why a property with electric fence around it and a heard of Angus in the stubble and draws would be enrolled in The WIHA program .

But we simply go to the next spot or next county . I would be an advocate for few less acres and more quality habitat or a habitat stamp to either enhance these areas in addition to public lands owned by state or Feds .

I did not see the numbers Of birds like I had seen in 2000 and to 2008 . I remember seeing 100 to 200 birds a day regularly . I would have to say the most pheasants I saw in a day were 50 to 60 . Concentrated mainly on pheasants . Quail numbers seemed good where habitat was correct .

Like the title says these birds where hard earned and prizes , the Hard working Britt’s did their owner proud and made enjoyable memories.

I feel the same way Ks Native said . (Personally - I'd rather bag one honest bird (or none) than 6 at any preserve, anywhere.)

Great report! I am planning on a first ever quail -pheasant trip to Kansas this coming week . Hopefully sweak out of Montana on ice less roads! Story well told !

Great report KS, glad to see Ginger and Lilo are still earning their keep! Bella, River and Ellie are very jealous.

Great report! Thank you for sharing.

Public Land Prizes

Here are a couple pictures I took on my latest trip in the west part of our state .

I asked My cousin who has flexibility in his schedule to join me . We have been hunting together for about 4 decades and it was enjoyable to share the hunt with .

We made quite a sweep through the western Half of the state hopscotching from spot to spot .

Here is what I can tell you about my experience from the public hunting in Kansas . It very important to scout and have, A feel for bird numbers in different areas geographic areas do the state .K

We harvested birds every day of our 3 1/2 day trip . Most every property we hunted had huntable numbers of birds . Yes these were late season birds and plenty spooky . We sized up cover and hunted what we thought would likely hold birds .

I liked the freedom to roam and explore areas I have never seen or hunted before .

I scratched my head a couple times wondering why a property with electric fence around it and a heard of Angus in the stubble and draws would be enrolled in The WIHA program .

But we simply go to the next spot or next county . I would be an advocate for few less acres and more quality habitat or a habitat stamp to either enhance these areas in addition to public lands owned by state or Feds .

I did not see the numbers Of birds like I had seen in 2000 and to 2008 . I remember seeing 100 to 200 birds a day regularly . I would have to say the most pheasants I saw in a day were 50 to 60 . Concentrated mainly on pheasants . Quail numbers seemed good where habitat was correct .

Like the title says these birds where hard earned and prizes , the Hard working Britt’s did their owner proud and made enjoyable memories.

I feel the same way Ks Native said . (Personally - I'd rather bag one honest bird (or none) than 6 at any preserve, anywhere.)
Me too.Public land roosters are a prize.

Why 2 whistles KS ? Curious how many miles you(not the hounds) put on in a day?
Nice looking britts they look battle hardened....

My I phone has a Day with 17,439 steps and another day with 14,786 . I bet there is away to convert it . My guess 8 to 10 miles a day . Let’s here from I phone experts ?

I have had the whistles forever and thought I could use one for each dog and they would know the Difference , not the case though .

One the sound carries better in the wind the other is a bit quieter , late season hunting I use them as little as possible .

Thanks
Ksbrittman

Last edited:
My last couple of days have been 18-20k+ steps a day. I think the highest was around 25k.

My last couple of days have been 18-20k+ steps a day. I think the highest was around 25k.
25 K is getting with it , I had my cousin Moving the truck and picking me up so a little less dead heading . 25 k is that around 12 to 13 Miles ?

25 K is getting with it , I had my cousin Moving the truck and picking me up so a little less dead heading . 25 k is that around 12 to 13 Miles ?
I'm not completely sure how to convert steps to miles to be honest. I'm a short guy so I take more steps than someone who is over 6' traveling the same distance.

snow improves pheasant hunting like nothing else. great photos!

Back