Protecting Your Dogs

Dcup

I have hunted my GSP pretty good this year, and its her first true year in the field, but I have noticed that she comes home pretty marred up. Last year I didnt have this problem, but like today she came home with a contusion on her front shoulder, not to mention several (and I mean several) small burs buried in her short hair. I used a "skid plate" last weekend because she came home with her chest just tore up. I hunt a lot of tall thick brush, because I hunt mainly public land (dont know anyone with private). The skid plate tore in about two hours of hunting and I had to toss it, not to mention it rubbed her raw in places where it snapped together. Does anyone know of a good product to protect her chest and belly. She looks terrible right now and I feel bad when I take her out because she looks like she ran through a mine field when we get home.

Oh yea...and the wife gets pissed that I screwed up her baby. :p

What type of skid plate are you using? Cabela's makes a good vest for upland hunting? I have used mine for my gsp for five years, it has saved me alot of money in vet bills.

I use a skid plate on my GSP and havnt had any trouble's yet. She gets her bumps and bruises but nothing major yet. I dont know what else you can do to protect your dog except to either keep them at home or keep to the grass lands. I worry about my dog also and she did tear a hole in her leg the second time out, but we had that healed within two weeks. I guess I just let her be herself out there. A few battle scars in my opinion, give a dog a well hunted look, a badge of honor if you will. All dogs get scratched up, its just that the scratches stand out a little more on the GSP and other shorthaired dogs then the same scratches would on a longhaired breed.

I dont know, its a Scheels brand one. Its not a neoprene, I guess I was just wondering if the neoprene was any better.

It sounds like this is a concern to you but not the pup. If she recovers and heals quickly and without complications-it sounds like you have a hard hunting dog and should be thrilled. My wife knows we had a good time if we all come back tired and beat up.I hunt with 2 Goldens- trust me you dont know burried burrs.
Just sayin

KCWEIM, what is the name of that vest and where did you buy it?......Bob

protecting your dogs

I've used a neoprene vest from Cabela's (orange, it helps me keep track of her) for 3 years now with very good results. It fits tight, does not move around and does not get sticks, etc. caught in it to rub the dog raw. After having to take one of my dogs to the vet because she hit a barbwire wire fence at high speeds and having her chest sewn up it is cheap insurance. It also adds a little bit of warmth in really cold conditions.

I got it at Cabelas I think it is a Gundog brand... I don't remember how much but it doesn't matter.... Fits very good and have never had a problem with it

Cabelas neoprene vest

Thirty five bucks!
Was skeptical if my golden would wear it. He does. Won't leave home without it. Keeps the Burrs off his chest and underbelly. Had to do a lot of trimming with the scissors so it didn't rub in areas and also had to have the wife sew in some tack bars that were trimmed out.Has saved us a lot of headaches.
As for the heavy brush his upper front legs have signs of irritation from plowing through the stuff but I watch it closely.
RR

Thirty five bucks!
Was skeptical if my golden would wear it. He does. Won't leave home without it. Keeps the Burrs off his chest and underbelly. Had to do a lot of trimming with the scissors so it didn't rub in areas and also had to have the wife sew in some tack bars that were trimmed out.Has saved us a lot of headaches.
As for the heavy brush his upper front legs have signs of irritation from plowing through the stuff but I watch it closely.
RR

How cold does it have to be to get a Golden to wear a neoprene vest while hunting upland? Oh my gosh

How cold does it have to be to get a Golden to wear a neoprene vest while hunting upland? Oh my gosh
Mine wore one while grouse hunting this year with temperatures in the high 40s/low 50s. She was fine and it was great insurance as she was crashing through brush after birds and jumping over fallen, dead pine trees. I have a Cabelas one (the one with extra floatation - helps with cold water retrieves, especially for big birds (geese)).

Pheasant hunting earlier this year with temps in the mid-60s+ it was going to be too hot, so I left it off. I am tempted to pickup a skid plate for warmer weather hunting, but I am worried it won't hold up to brush/briars/etc very well like the neoprene one does.

Just out of curiosity, how do dogs not bake wearing neoprene vests? I would think they would be really hot. Well I quess I should have read page 2 to see this question had already been asked.

I have used the orange eoprene vests for my Springers for a few years now. They work good in the cold weather but I would not put them on when it is warm. With the way my dogs hunt they get dinged constantly and the vest doesn't stop injuries as much as it keeps their core warm. If anything the neoprene holds them up when they are running through the plum brush and raspberry thickets.

Cabella's protector w/ ripstop

found this one in the bargain basement - well worth the price. no injuries since using it... compared to the ripped chest from barbwire...

Back