Protecting your Dogs feet

sig_mech

Hey gent's (and ladies too), I'm just trying to get an idea of what all you bird doggers are using to save you buddies feet from stickers. I've been hunting these parts for a bunch of years now and it seems that every year those dang goat heads and sand burrs get bigger and tougher. I've tried so many different types of booties on my dog Oakley but nothing last longer than one or two outings. It's gotten so bad that I've taken to wrapping his feet with gauze then loosly wrapping that with duct tape. It works pretty well to deter all but the toughest stickies and I really don't mind if he throws a "boot". A quick re-wrap and we're back in the field. Anyone else have a good solution for this?

boots

I use 8" piece of a small motorcycle inertube. left open on the end cut a couple of slits on the other end and duct tape to the dogs foot.:cheers:

I use the Avery dog boots, they are descent, nothing special, but i then duct tape them on at the top to the dogs leg and they have worked great for me.

I did a ton or research on dog boots this summer and tried several types.

The best boot I found are the A1 Dog Boots. You can buy them through Cabela's, but you are better off buying them straight from the company here in Denver. The company tried a new strap system that used plastic clips (this is what Cabela's carries) which do not hold up. The company has reverted back to synch straps with medal loops that work much better.

Here is a link.

http://www.a1dogbootcompany.com/

Thanks

Thank s everyone for all your help. There's a whole bunch of real good ideas there. I'll start with one and work through most of them untill I find one that works for me.
Great site and great people. Thanks again.

Back