Prospects in Linton?

Jreinan01

I'm getting recruited to head to Linton this week because I have dogs. I have been hearing some very mixed reports as to what to expect this next week. Any experience this season? Or even better would be some advice, I'm coming from Minneapolis and don't have tons of time to learn the lay of the land. Thanks in advance.

I usually hunt north and east of there a bit. We saw good numbers in October. As far as advice goes , same old areas. Grass / CRP near grain. Don't over look the cattails , literally walk through them. Its tough , we killed a few doing this. Dryer areas especially.

Private land should be excellent this time of year if it has some decent pheasant cover.

Public land has been hit relatively hard by now. Most locals are probably waiting for a little snow cover to drive the birds off marginal habitat back into the better winter cover (often public land).

Area along Oahe should hold birds, but it can feel big.

Not sure if Linton area has received more hunting pressure from Bismarck people because of the pipeline protests on the west side of the river.

Linton has less cattail swamps than areas just 20 -30 miles further east.

Just got back on Sunday. Ten birds for two people (we had our chances for more). It was tough walking really, if you found water you found birds, the thicker the better. We stayed in Linton but hunted around Hazelton. Both private and PLOTS (both were about the same). It will be interesting how things are when I head back out Dec 16 with all this snow.

Back