Projects?

chadsbritt

So what projects is everyone working on here in Colorado? Are there any good habitat improvement stories to talk about?

I'm trying ot figure out what to do with my uncle's property here along the front range. My cousin and I are going to try and transform it into a upland bird's Disneyland. We'll see how it goes. Taking the first step is the hardest. Right now we're trying to determine what mix of seed to throw down.

I'll keep you posted as we progress.

Just ordered my trees for replants they will be here the 1st of April. Considering putting in a couple of pretty good size food plots. Theyre seem to be a good carryover of birds. You see them out and about daily right now.

Just ordered my trees for replants they will be here the 1st of April. Considering putting in a couple of pretty good size food plots. Theyre seem to be a good carryover of birds. You see them out and about daily right now.

Its good to hear there is good amount of carryover birds. I thought there probably would be. No big snow storms have had these ditch chickens living the good life. Hopefully we have a wet spring and the nesting cover will come in nice and thick.

What kind of trees are you planting? Where do you order them from...The Colorado State Nursery?

Yes the trees come from the csu nursery at a discounted price as long as they are used for habitat, livestock shelters, etc. Also you must not dig and resell later. There is many programs available to share cost these projects. You need to get in contact with the local fsa/nrcs office and they can walk you through the available programs. Another option is through pheasants forever group you supply the ground and they will come and put in these tree plots with no cost to you. I believe you have to sign a 10 year commitment not to tear it out. It may be less years but I dont remember.

I would love it if PF or another organization jumped in and helped. The problem is we're in an area where you seldom see a pheasant so I don't know if they would think they are waisting time and energy on the place. We of course would like to get a pheasant population established, and I think the area would support them, they just aren't around right now. The property is in Hygiene.

I seen your post on the Kansas Side. These programs are designed for wildlife habitat. Go ahead and checkwith the nrcs office. I think you could get pf to do it also because thats is what it all about.

CB, what's the news? Did you get your Pheasant playground planted? Decent moisture lately here in Denver, I assume same up north where the projects located.

Englishpointerman & Cowdog, what's the word out Yuma way? My buddy just got a big 10x20 tent and thinks he can set it up for a couple days during season in that roadside park in Joes for a couple days. I say sheriff won't let that happen. What do you think?

Tired of shooting clays.

We have had a lot moisture in the areqa lately. I have seen a few seeds sprouting, but am wiating to give a full report. The next time I go out should be quite revealing. I hope we have huge numbers of sprouts to deal with.

not sure on the tent thing dont know why it would be much different than a camper i guess. Lots of carry over birds here. Wait and see what mother nature lets us have with the hatch.

Well our habitat is doing great. This rain has been a blessing. I haven't been out there for a couple of weeks, but my cousin was out on Wednesday and took pictures. The picutres don't do justice, but stuff is growing everywhere. I'm going to try and get out there this weekend. I'll let everyone know what I see.

Back