Price of Diesel

China. :(:(

No Idea,

It's 70 cent more a gallon than first grade 87, gas at $3.05 a gallon. Makes no sense.

The US is a net exporter of diesel fuel, Europe being the largest export market for it. Simple supply and demand deal.

The US is a net exporter of diesel fuel, Europe being the largest export market for it. Simple supply and demand deal.

Spot on. It's a world market and diesel has caught on much better in Europe, South America, and Asia than it has here. They have some pretty sweet mid sized rigs in other countries we could only dream of here because of the EPA.

I would love to have a turbo diesel midsize 4x4 SUV, a four banger with about 220 hp. Perfect.

Speaking of fuel costs, 87 octane is $2.989 here.

Last edited:
I would love to have a turbo diesel midsize 4x4 SUV, a four banger with about 220 hp. Perfect.

Speaking of fuel costs, 87 octane is $2.989 here.

You and I both BritChaser.:cheers:

87 is still running around $3.20 here.:(

With Diesel being a buck Higher then Regular in the US is slowing down the sale of Diesel personal vehicles.
Kids have a VW Gulf Diesel, nice little car.:)

$4.09 for Diesel here. :(

Trying to find logical excuses for any retail fuel price, let alone the spread between diesel and gas is sort of like developing a perpetual motion machine, it can't be done. The answer to the question is "because they want it to be a dollar difference". The difference between diesel and gas in Canada is much closer, with some areas selling diesel for less than gas, why? China doesn't like their diesel?, I don't think so as the US gets the majority of it from Canada, the answer is they price it where they want to.
Higher diesel prices are more likely to be accepted by end users because most diesel is used in industries like trucking for instance and they recoup much of the price through fuel surcharges. If those industries were not able to pass the cost along you would see a much different price structure as well as a lot of noise from various lobbies representing trucking, agriculture and so on. It would be nice to be able to put the blame on someone far away around the world, but the reality is not so. If blame is to be placed anywhere, the first place to look is our own neighbors in the US oil companies.

Short answer: "Because they can."

Stopped by a neighbor's for Thanksgiving dessert. Her family owns a fuel oil company, has purchased several others, and has a franchise gas station. Neighbor is nice lady. Her brother was an arrogant, self-involved, spoiled "little prince" all his young years, but seems to have become more tolerable with wife and kids. Of course I don't see him during the year.

Asked about over-night price hikes on gasoline/diesel--you know: refinery fire in OK, gas price raised in WI that evening. Basically, he said..."because we can." They call around to three or four other distributors in the area, and then raise the prices.

There's a story about a scorpion by the riverside that uses that phrase, or one like it.

:)

Diesel is higher because the refiners aren't producing more of it like they are producing more gasoline. There is plenty of oil hitting refineries, especially in the midwest/tx but most goes to making gas.

Diesel will come down. It was cheaper than gas for a while here this summer. Now, like everywhere else it's a buck higher and I burn diesel in my car:(

But I also average over 33mpg in all driving and about 38 on the hwy so I don't use a lot.:)

BTW, China has only a small influence on our fuel prices. Oil is traded on the world market but it is really a regional or local product in many respects. Getting oil from the Bakken in ND to China ain't going to happen in any quick or cheap way. China gets the majority

Last edited:
Diesel in a light duty truck, 1ton and under is great for off road, all about torque! The reason diesel prices are high is because of taxes. There is like a 10 cent a gal tax and then a 3 cent tax or surcharge on top of that and then the county gets it's cut too. It depends on were you live as to how much taxes you pay. Diesel is one of the bottom of the barrel fuels they get when they refine oil, and one of the cheapest to make. So taxes are the driving cost of diesel, Govt. wants there way to get money from the trucks and all for driving on their roads... I had a diesel Suburban 4x4 , it was great off road, the guys call it the "Trash Truck" till I pulled a Toyota Land Cruiser up a hill it was stuck on. Then it was call "The Tank"......

I've watched diesel prices for a Looooong time. Typically runs 10-20 cents higher than reg. and follows reg pricing but changes lag by weeks before diesel catches up.

Like most markets there should be a supply and demand factor. I thought diesel was up this fall due to harvest time or maybe more trucking due to bakken and hauling frack sand possibly.

Who really knows?

Everything I drive is diesel. I just love the performance characteristics of the diesel motor.

Sold the newer dodge diesel for a VW Jetta Wagon 2.0 TDI. Get 500-600 miles on a 13 gallon fill.

Would love to drive VW's mid size TDI the Toureg but the fuel economy and cost of vehicle is prohibitive.

With the spread on diesel price and fuel efficient of newer small cars the reg. fuel cars would be more economical at present.

Even at a buck higher i would still pick the TDI.

Part of cost increase is that diesel is closely related to the heating oil that people use to heat their homes with. As the demand for heating oil increases (winter-time) there is less raw materials to use for refining into diesel fuel.

Back