Prey Drive

KCWIEM

I am in need of some help.... I have a 2yr femail Wiem.... She is very timid... She points with no problem... She backs with no problem..... She will not retrieve anything... Nor does she have any prey drive at all... And I mean none.... I have tried toys food ect.... Any ideas???

Is it that she just won't pick up a dead bird?

Not quite clear on what you mean by no prey drive.

What's her reaction to a flushed bird whether in front of her or a wild flush? Does she give chase? The point I'm trying to make is that a dog can still have prey drive even if they refuse to retrieve. If she actively shows enthusiasm while she searches and points birds but just won't pick up a bird, she may just not have a strong retrieve instinct. If this is the case you may have to have her force fetched. Force fetching will make her a dependable retriever, but there is some pressure behind it and being you said she is on the soft side a professional trainer IMO would be my choice to handle it.

If she truly has low prey drive there is not much you can do to put it there. They either have it or they don't.

Last edited:
Simple fact is some dogs just arn't as interested in dead birds....i know my dog won't retrieve a dead or down bird at most if the Pheasant is still alive he'll pin it down until i come and get it! i need to work on it with him! He loves playing fetch but just not when it comes to birds...its been stumping me for a while now! any tips!?

Coast, you could try this the next time the dog pins down a cripple. Take the bird from the dog and then toss it and let it run. Tell the dog "fetch" and have the dog chase it down. Sometimes a good chase snaps on the light for them.....Bob

Coast, you could try this the next time the dog pins down a cripple. Take the bird from the dog and then toss it and let it run. Tell the dog "fetch" and have the dog chase it down. Sometimes a good chase snaps on the light for them.....Bob

Thanks Bob...gunna have to try that next time :)

Consistent Commands

If you say "fetch" in the yard when playing, say "fetch" in the field when you want a bird retrieved.

Tom-

What I am trying to explain is that she seems to have no interest in anything..... She will not even chase or play with any toys..... And I mean none..... I have tried everything.... I have a male and when we are in the field she stay pretty close to me but as soon as she sees him go on point or get birdy she is right there... She will back him like she is a champ... If there is a wounded bird she will chase it and pin it down....

Can you provide a little more history on the dog?

Did you raise her from a pup or did you get her later?

How much bird contact has she had?

What training have you done up to now? explain

E-collar conditioned ? etc.... etc...

Is she any different when you hunt her alone?

She may just need more time or more time alone with you and not hunted with another dog. But of course It's impossible for me to speculate anything without seeing the dog first hand. It would seem she is little hesitant to get too far from you and that could mean any number of things. Hence the reason for some history.

If all else fails I would seek out a knowledgeable trainer or professional who specializes in pointing breeds and let him see her work. He should be able to tell you if the dog just doesn't have the goods or there is some other underlying issue as to why she is the way she is. But he will want to know the history of the dog as well. From this you can make a determination as to whether you still want to make an effort with this female or not.

Last edited:
Sorry let me help.....

I have had her since she was 8 weeks..... I picked her by placing a pheasant wing in the litter and she was the first one and only one to hold a point..... She has had average contact with birds... Not near as much as I would like for her to have.... She will chase a wing or a downed bird.... She is E collar conditioned.... And you are correct she is very hessitant to go to far from me... If she gets to far she turns to wait for me or comes back to me.... I have never corrected her from going to far....

I would love to find someone in the KC area that is an experienced trainer with pointing breeds to give me some tips... Not really looking to send her to a trainer would rather someone help train both me and her.....

Your best bet is a NAVDHA chapter. You will get lots of help and access to birds on training days.
I am a confused when you mention prey drive and toys. Nowhere do toys represent prey. Prey is a bird, rabbit, cat things that are alive. Retrieving has nothing to do with prey drive.
If you were close to me we could put your dog around my pigeon coop. Any dog that has any prey drive goes nuts.
Bottom line is your may have a pet and not a bird dog.

KCWIEM,

Had (perhaps) a similar situation, and a pro trainer helped me with the prey drive issue. I took the dog out in the field and at the right moments - when he was being lackadaisical - I literally threw pigeons in front of the dog. Took some repetition, but it certainly strengthened the drive when the birds flapped their wings right in front of his face.

Using release traps to spring birds when she is out front seem a reasonable approach, if you have them. Best of luck!

KC overall the weimeraner is a very close working dog. Low prey drive yeah my male has that as well. He stays right by me but when he smells a bird he will go out farther and point it. He has gone out farther each and every year he is six now. He also backs any other dog when they are on point. He is not an alpha dog more of a follower than a leader my female is the alpha. I too wish that I could someway correct this he has a great nose.

The part that surprises me is that she won't retrieve. Every weimeraner I have seen have been excellent retrievers. But that said if you see enough you will find a exception. My male retrieves most of our birds on a given hunt it almost looks like a contest which dog can get to the bird first.

What kind of breeding did the pup come out of? Proven hunters that you saw hunt well or dogs with hunt titles behind them?

Weims aren't a consistent breed anymore as far as chance of finding a good hunter out of most any breeding. Not my opinion--that's what weim folks tell me.

But you said a few things that made me wonder if this dog isn't just fine. It might be a bit timid around other dogs, I'd work it by itself with a ton of encouragement and go easy on any commands. When it comes to training be firm and consistent. I would suggest if you go to a pro or with a training group that you find someone who knows weims and how they can develop differently than some other breeds.

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions.... I have come to the conclusion that it is going to just take some extra work.... She is just really timid.... But a great dog... Her parents where both NAVDHA trail dogs..... My female does the exact same... stays close to me until she gets a scent and then she starts working.... Just going to take a lot of extra work to get her to retrieve.... she may not ever but that is still ok with me....

What kind of breeding did the pup come out of? Proven hunters that you saw hunt well or dogs with hunt titles behind them?

Weims aren't a consistent breed anymore as far as chance of finding a good hunter out of most any breeding. Not my opinion--that's what weim folks tell me.

But you said a few things that made me wonder if this dog isn't just fine. It might be a bit timid around other dogs, I'd work it by itself with a ton of encouragement and go easy on any commands. When it comes to training be firm and consistent. I would suggest if you go to a pro or with a training group that you find someone who knows weims and how they can develop differently than some other breeds.

I know this isn't always the case but the two dogs I have bought with the best pedigree have performed the poorest. My male had a bunch of field chapions in his pedigree my female none my female is a good hunter. I took my female weim to a trainer he got frustrated told me to come get her said he couldn't do a thing with her. I got her home and found out what he tried to teach her did sink in she just wouldn't do it for him. I took her back and showed the trainer and he was amazed.

I know this isn't always the case but the two dogs I have bought with the best pedigree have performed the poorest. My male had a bunch of field chapions in his pedigree my female none my female is a good hunter. I took my female weim to a trainer he got frustrated told me to come get her said he couldn't do a thing with her. I got her home and found out what he tried to teach her did sink in she just wouldn't do it for him. I took her back and showed the trainer and he was amazed.

Weimrock,

What's your opinion of the breed as it stands today?

Are they being bred more for show these days or has hunting/field work been gaining more ground from breeders striving to bring them back to their original purpose?

nice....:cheers:

Without a doubt I feel the breed is still moving toward show and just plain house dogs. Part of that trend I am sure is contributed to the decline of hunting. When I looked for pups I looked for hunters and by far most that sell weimers are just breeders so its hard to find good stock. I had two litters with my hunting stock and tried to sell them to hunters but unfortunately most of them went to be house dogs. I had one female that a doctor put money down on and she asked me to hold it till after her honeymoon which I did. During that hold that dog started pointing and bringing birds to me that fell out of nests I was kinda hoping the doctor would change her mind on taking the pup. After that I got my dogs spayed and neutered.

It's unfortunate that the "grey ghosts" as some call them are still loosing ground as far as finding quality field stock.

With their closer work they seem really suited for the foot hunter wanting a closer working field dog that points it's game.

Last edited:
Back