Preserves in Western Wisconsin

rman63

Does anyone have any experience with any of these preserves? I want to go hunting late in December and will most likely pick one of these:

Apple River Hunting
Coyland Creek
Forest Ridge Hunt Club

If there are others near St. Croix Falls that I should be looking at I am open to considering them as well. Thanks!

Ray

Does anyone have any experience with any of these preserves? I want to go hunting late in December and will most likely pick one of these:

Apple River Hunting
Coyland Creek
Forest Ridge Hunt Club

If there are others near St. Croix Falls that I should be looking at I am open to considering them as well. Thanks!

Ray

We alway take our dog for a "tune up" before season to Forest ridge, nice people and nice cover. We just went out there last Saturday and spent our hotel money from our canceled SD trip (weather) we had 37 roosters between 2 fields and we probably put up close to 50. They don't allow scratch hunting so you see way more than you put out.

You must be a member at Game unlimited, I live 5 miles from there and it's kind of run down and the owner is a jerk. I've shot sporting clays there and won a couple bird hunts here and I haven't gone back in 10+ years.

Met the owners of coyland creek at pheasant fest when it was at the convention center in MN, seemed really nice. This place is about 10 miles from my cabin and I have never seen it, GPS won't take you there. I'd like to try it also, then I could do my tune up after bow hunting early season instead of staying home 1 weekend!

I think the apple river one, if by somerset is closed. I'm not 100% sure but I thought I heard that.

Thanks for the feedback. Apple River Hunting is north of New Richmond and looks like it's open. I am going to give at least one of these a try during the holidays.

Thanks for the feedback. Apple River Hunting is north of New Richmond and looks like it's open. I am going to give at least one of these a try during the holidays.

I looked up the web page, I've never heard of this place and Ive lived in NR all my life, I might need to get out more! The one I was thinking of is north of somerset.

Looks like the birds might be a little cheaper at Forest, but not much of a savings if your driving by arhp.

FWIW, I just called Apple River and they will be out of birds before Christmas. Doesn't sound like a big operation, but they do raise their own pheasants. Maybe next year...

Not sure where you will be coming from, Minnesota has quite a few good preserves within an hours drive of the Twin Cities. Some not that far across the border.

Forest Ridge

I ended up getting 8 birds at Forest Ridge. Overall, I would say it's a decent preserve.

Strengths
+ great people who work there, very accommodating
+ decent fields
+ fair prices

Opportunities
- birds were a little scrawny I thought for a late season hunt (they buy them and don't raise their own)
- heard a lot of highway noise on the field I was on

Overall, I would recommend them. Note that they take cash only. Will check out some of the other preserves next year.

Went to Coyland Creek today, had 10 chukar planted (out of phez) Cash pointed 12 birds, shot 11 and had one low flyer that I couldn't shoot at.

+/-

+ still have a few birds:D
Very nice people
Very nice club house/bar
Nice warm bird cleaning house
Sporting clays and what looked to be skeet on site
Lodge hunting packages for an extended weekend

- cover was a little thin on the field I was in but to be expected at this time of the year. Sorghum and a couple little pot hole were all that are still standing with the snow and freezing rain we've had this year.
A little hard to find but easy if you follow their directions

I'll will be back for sure next year when the cover is prime waiting for pheasant season to open, hopefully try a couple different fields and it's only 10-15 min from the cabin:D

Back