Preserve Hunting

Campbell76

Well looks like ill be going to Harding Gamebirds again for pheasant hunting since there isn't any good news for pheasant hunting in KS. It will save gas and money. Stinking droughts for the 3 yrs are killing all the pheasants. So is haying the CRP for cattle to eat. Just I don't remember the last time if ever that this has happen before. Does anyone?:(:(:(:(:(:(

That is why I did not hunt Ks last year and went to South Dakota twice.
Shot a lot of birds in SD.

Going back again this year.

Campbell you are lighting the forum up:D Just because everyone says theres no birds doesn't mean you cant still go hunting have fun go with friends relax eat good at restaurants enjoy the dogs working a field and if you go enough times you will stumble on some birds!! Hell I went quail hunting I bet 7 or 8 times last year just close to home on public before I finally ran into a covey of birds. Lets go to bilby sometime and walk our ass off and probably not kill anything but who cares I didn't wanna clean them anyway:cheers:

Well said. Huntining is about way more than killing birds. For me it is about spending time with family and friends.

Campbell,
I'm doing the same thing as you this year. I bought a ks license last year and used $300-400 on gas, food, etc. and got two quail. They tasted good and all but the per pound food cost is a little steep for me. I also feel bad for my dog when she works her butt off running god knows how many miles for 0 birds. I love watching her work and the excerise I get, but I want her to get a reward for her work. I understand the others opinion but I don't want my dog to start thinking every field we go to is just a place to run and not hunt. I also think that $300-$400 in the freezer worth of birds tastes a lot better than nothing. Have a good day ladies and gents and most of all enjoy the hunt.
Ross

Yes I remember it being just as dry and birdless as it is now. This is not a phenomenon. It's a cycle that mother nature goes through. It's happening now and will happen again.

Go buy yourself 8 quail and 3 pheasants. Go to a public hunting area close by and place the birds. Take your dog and go hunt them up. If you want to eat and shoot birds this is much cheaper than spending gobs of gas money, wear and tear on your vehicle, motel fee, eating out at a diner, not to mention the time spent packing and unpacking gear and still even in a good year come home with MAYBE 4-6 phez and a couple of quail each.

Killing birds. I know its not fun to hunt and not come home with anything, but the older I get the less I even want to shoot a damn bird. I gave up deer hunting because I felt sorry for the dumb SOB's. Get out of truck, sit by winter wheat feild, deer walks out, shoot it. That's not even remotely fun.

The cheapest and best way to hunt has always been on a game preserve. If your into killing birds this is the way to go.

Last edited:
South dakota

That is why I did not hunt Ks last year and went to South Dakota twice.
Shot a lot of birds in SD.

Going back again this year.

You say your going up to SD have u seen their bird report. They are down too. Though they are much better than KS. In some places in SD where they were seeing 10 pheasants per mile they are now only seeing 2 per mile. That's a big decline. I have always wanted to hunt SD but no where to hunt and I'm not spending $1000+ to hunt in a over price over crowded field. Anyway good luck in SD.

Campbell you are lighting the forum up:D Just because everyone says theres no birds doesn't mean you cant still go hunting have fun go with friends relax eat good at restaurants enjoy the dogs working a field and if you go enough times you will stumble on some birds!! Hell I went quail hunting I bet 7 or 8 times last year just close to home on public before I finally ran into a covey of birds. Lets go to bilby sometime and walk our ass off and probably not kill anything but who cares I didn't wanna clean them anyway:cheers:

Dont get me wrong i love hunting and will probably go. The thing is i go with my dad and he doesn't want to spend $200 a trip to see nothing and i dont blame him. I don't have anyone else but him to go with. I try to get my cuz to go but he's too busy with motocross racing to go hunting. My nephew is just now turning 18 hopefully i can talk him into going if not i really don't like going by myself. Anyway hope everyone finds something to shoot at.:)

Yes I remember it being just as dry and birdless as it is now. This is not a phenomenon. It's a cycle that mother nature goes through. It's happening now and will happen again.

Go buy yourself 8 quail and 3 pheasants. Go to a public hunting area close by and place the birds. Take your dog and go hunt them up. If you want to eat and shoot birds this is much cheaper than spending gobs of gas money, wear and tear on your vehicle, motel fee, eating out at a diner, not to mention the time spent packing and unpacking gear and still even in a good year come home with MAYBE 4-6 phez and a couple of quail each.

Killing birds. I know its not fun to hunt and not come home with anything, but the older I get the less I even want to shoot a damn bird. I gave up deer hunting because I felt sorry for the dumb SOB's. Get out of truck, sit by winter wheat feild, deer walks out, shoot it. That's not even remotely fun.

The cheapest and best way to hunt has always been on a game preserve. If your into killing birds this is the way to go.
Yes i love killing pheasant cuz i love eating them and my family does too. I go preserve hunting cuz i like hunting at preserve your guaranteed to see what you pay for. I would still go preserve hunting even if KS bird numbers were back like they were in the 80s. The 80s birds were everywhere though i was to young to shoot still walked. Anyway :cheers:

Dont get me wrong i love hunting and will probably go. The thing is i go with my dad and he doesn't want to spend $200 a trip to see nothing and i dont blame him. I don't have anyone else but him to go with. I try to get my cuz to go but he's too busy with motocross racing to go hunting. My nephew is just now turning 18 hopefully i can talk him into going if not i really don't like going by myself. Anyway hope everyone finds something to shoot at.:)

pm me any time we can go to bilby and if you want we can go to ks only one thing you have to keep the birds if we would accidentally stumble on a blind one :thumbsup:

Campbell,

I saw the SD forecast.

I paid to hunt SD. About $1000 per trip. But saw hundreds of birds per day and shot my limit every day. We had the land to ourselves. One Trip was uguide camp.

I saw more birds in 1 day in SD, than I would see in a whole season on KS.

The price is worth it. I will go to SD once or twice a year instead of going to KS 6-7 times a year.

Until the birds come back in ks.

pm me any time we can go to bilby and if you want we can go to ks only one thing you have to keep the birds if we would accidentally stumble on a blind one :thumbsup:

Im up for hunting with new people but i dont know you. Id meet someone up at a gamefarm and split some birds together if u didnt want the birds id take all we got. I usually dont go hunting opening day. Usually 2nd weekend me and my dad go . let me know maybe we could go up to Harding Gamebirds and hunt some pen raised pheasants. Guess that would depend on where your located.

Back