Preemergent?

GSP

I am adding a wind screen to the W edge of one of my CRP stands this spring. Going with 100 Norway Spruces. Everything I have read recommends a good weed kill prior to planting. My exchange office will have the trees here on April 16.

Is the first of April too early to spray roundup and have any real effect?

I'm thinking it is. That being the case, is there a preemergent that I can use?

I'm in mid-Michigan.

Last edited:
GSP, are you going into sod? Usually they want it disked up soft and black. Fabirc weed barrier would be ideal to put down.

If there is not much growing yet then roundup won't do much. Need at least 6 inches of new growth.

The common way to plant trees like spruce up here is to place the seedlings in a furrow that is about 6 inches deep. The roots of the tree will be below the grass roots where moisture is usually available throughout the Summer for the new plant to get established. It also protects the tree from wind. I don't ever see spray used. If you spray the grass early, you will get a ton of weeds later.

Good points. Thank you.

The size of the project prohibits the use of a weed barrier.

My initial inclination was actually just to mow the grass/weeds (it is a fallow field right now on the edge of CRP). The thought being that it would help keep the moisture in. I think that's what I'm going to stick with.

Check into Treflan herbicide. We used it back when I was planting shelter belts. It works for annual grasses.

Back