Predator control

SDJIM

Well the numbers are in on the local PF predator control project.
First some information. SD game fish and parks says the average pheasant nest produces 8.2 chicks so for every predator you take out of the habitat :)

The numbers
1. Raccoon 1245
2. Coyote 225
3. Fox 62
4. Possum 51
5. Skunk 58
6. Badger 38
7. Feral Cat 15

That's a total of 1694 and assuming that each predator will destroy one pheasant nest per year that's 13890 chicks that have the potential to become adult birds. If half of them are roosters(6945)--then the potential for 2315 3 bird daily limits is there.

I know that not all of the 13890 chicks will grow up to be adults --but it's a lot more to start with and hopefully there will be a lot more hens next spring to up the population again. I bet skunks were under reported(who wants to mess with the smelly things) and that the assumption that each predator destroying one nest is LOW

All this within a 20-25 mile radius of Platte. :thumbsup:

Dang, a lot of Raccoons is right! Feral cats & Coyotes are the big threats out here.

This post just warms my heart:D. Delta waterfowl had cameras of nesting hen ducks on their website. One nest after another got picked off by nest readers. It's amazing how ground nesting birds have any success at all! I hope this program/effort expands elsewhere! Nick

Good stuff, Should remind the "pro predator" types why SD does so well with wild pheasants.
The biggest problem with coyotes is all the Wintering hens they kill, those hens will never have the chance to nest.

Is there any sort of way to regulate the bird predator numbers? Around here a hawk or owl can and will do lots of damage, but I believe some are protected

Hawks and owls no. I believe most states have a crow season though. Crows too can do a number on pheasant chicks and other wildlife. As a kid I watched crows rip through a section of trees and destroy every nest they found. Ripped the nests and everything in those nests to shreds. It almost seemed like they did it just for the fun of it:confused: My father has a book with photos of crows picking pheasant chicks up and through them against rocks to kill them. Nick

Hawks and owls no. I believe most states have a crow season though. Crows too can do a number on pheasant chicks and other wildlife. As a kid I watched crows rip through a section of trees and destroy every nest they found. Ripped the nests and everything in those nests to shreds. It almost seemed like they did it just for the fun of it:confused: My father has a book with photos of crows picking pheasant chicks up and through them against rocks to kill them. Nick

Do you still have crows? I see a hand full in the spring and fall migration, but that is it.

I realize every predator, no matter what it is, taken out of the game is good, but its a shame the hawks and owls will go unregulated. For a state like SD (or any state that is on an upswing) that puts so much money and effort into pheasant habitat/conservation it sucks that hawks/owls cannot be controlled.

Do you still have crows? I see a hand full in the spring and fall migration, but that is it.

Yeah. we have a huge number of crows. I'm planning on purchasing some crow decoys for next season. Every time I use a distressed rabbit call they come swarming in. Nick

There is usually a day or two in the spring when we used to have hundreds of them go by on their way north. Now I might see ten. We used to have them nest here, but not any more.

There are no shortage of crows.
Hard to believe there's a season on the dang things.
We see large flocks migrating and 1,000's Winter here, long as I can remember.
The larger cousins the Ravens, all they do is rob nests, same with the little cousins the Magpies. All protected, crazy. :confused:

Back