Prairie Grouse Season

Dakotazeb

The Prairie Grouse season starts tomorrow (Sept. 18th) here in South Dakota. Anyone on here heading out? I've had a couple of guys tell me about a few spots in the NE part of the state that they have been seeing some Sharptails. Bree and I are going to give it a go and see what we can find. If nothing else it will be some good exercise for the dog and me.

Well, of course! :) At my age my wife isn't thrilled about me hunting alone so she has an app on her phone to track me.

Spent about 2 hours this morning walking the hills and pastures in the area I was hunting. Bree found and made a great point on a covey of about 8-10 Sharpies. She was 200-300 yds. from me and held her point. When I got to her the grouse flushed out of range. With a fairly strong wind she was pointing them from over 50 yds. That's all we saw but at least now we know there are some Sharpies in that area. That type of hunting in wide open spaces is where my dog excels. She can really roll in that type of terrain. According to my Garmin Alpha in the 2 hours we hunted (with a 10 min. break) she covered 16.75 miles at an average speed of 11.5 mph. Nothing in the bag but a fun time. Home now with Bree asleep on the couch and me in my recliner watching some college football.

Spent about 2 hours this morning walking the hills and pastures in the area I was hunting. Bree found and made a great point on a covey of about 8-10 Sharpies. She was 200-300 yds. from me and held her point. When I got to her the grouse flushed out of range. With a fairly strong wind she was pointing them from over 50 yds. That's all we saw but at least now we know there are some Sharpies in that area. That type of hunting in wide open spaces is where my dog excels. She can really roll in that type of terrain. According to my Garmin Alpha in the 2 hours we hunted (with a 10 min. break) she covered 16.75 miles at an average speed of 11.5 mph. Nothing in the bag but a fun time. Home now with Bree asleep on the couch and me in my recliner watching some college football.
That sound like a lot of fun.

i am about your age Zeb, only difference is i hunt behind a gwp and too far away to mess with sharpies, but i do hunt SD pheasant.
my gwp sounds like he would be right up there with your Brit, this dog has some wheels. Anyway, they are fun to watch.
with him i usually hunt by myself, as he is far from flawless.

Went out again for a couple of hours. I saw 3 different coveys of Sharpies and got one out of the first group. All others got up out of range. They are really wild. We weren't in the field more than 5-10 minutes when Bree went over a hill. I looked at my Alpha and she was 358 yds. out. When I crested the hill I saw she was on point. As I was approaching her I saw her turn her head and give me the look of "are you coming". She held point nice until the birds flushed. There were 4-5 birds and that's the group I shot one out of. Bree logged another 16 miles today at an average speed of 13 mph. That 34 lb. Brittany has some wheels.

Back