Prairie Grouse Initiative

Hi Maynard! I love to work on grasslands. I usually am focused on bobwhite, but that is because they are the only grassland upland game birds other than turkey that use my area. We, as humans, have done serious damage to our original grassland habitats. This damage continues through irresponsible grazing and management. With the loss of over 90% of our original acres of grassland, it is even more important that we stop the loss of further acres and effectively manage the remaining acres. There are several programs available through NRCS in addition to this effort that can be used to help with your management efforts. Much needs to be done with grazing prescriptions, cedar and invasive woody invader control, and reclaiming acres planted to non-native species.

Prairie Drifter-

I have been involved over the years with "Ranch Conversations" that was a program to discussed and advise ranchers about the plight of the LPC. It was headed by USFWS, The Western Governor's Association and the state game agencies. I have not heard about a meeting with that group for years. I am glad to see some action for the prairie grouse.

I am blessed with a variety of wildlife. I try to plant crops to attract the dove migration. I have oaks planted to eventually attract deer and turkey. There are whitetail and mule deer and turkey nearby at the moment. Decent numbers of pheasant and bobwhite, some LPC, an occasional elk. The thing I do not have is waterfowl. When I suggested to Randy Rodgers that I should develop a water hole up on the hill, he told me, "You can't have it all!" I really don't see, "why not?":)

If I could have a wildlife area that didn't have a water hole, I would. When you start adding water to what you have, you make the area more suitable to predators and the water acts as an attractant to the game allowing the predators to be more effective at what they do and more productive breeding themselves. Most all of your gamebirds do well with metabolic water and dew. If you try to "have it all", you'll end up losing something!

Back