Prairie chicken Chautauqua county

lvrgsp

Has anyone done much prairie chicken hunting in Chautauqua or Elk counties lately....
I'm going to do a few days of PC hunting this fall. I've got other areas to go to was just curious on those two counties.

Thanks

I wouldn't think you'd have any luck on the greaters. There are very few left on the tall grass preserve just south of there.

I had not been down that way in a couple years I thought they were declining some in that area. I'll head back to the ole stompin grounds then this year.
Thanks for the heads up.

I think the habitat is improving with all the trees they've removed -- I've tried for them once but had no desire to go back - you can get into them in better habitat in other areas of the state.

I'm sure there are some just not the #'s elsewhere. If they burn like they do near Emporia/Cassoday I'm certain the #'s wont be that great. They are firebugs up there and if they tamed it down a bit the birds would have an easier go. I'm thinking they have the same affinity for the match in those two counties but they've sucked so long for quail I have little reason to venture there anymore.

I think the habitat is improving with all the trees they've removed -- I've tried for them once but had no desire to go back - you can get into them in better habitat in other areas of the state.

I'm sure there are some just not the #'s elsewhere. If they burn like they do near Emporia/Cassoday I'm certain the #'s wont be that great. They are firebugs up there and if they tamed it down a bit the birds would have an easier go. I'm thinking they have the same affinity for the match in those two counties but they've sucked so long for quail I have little reason to venture there anymore.

where is a good county for WIHA for prairie chicken closer to kansas city? trying to get some early season work with my dog.

The flint hills is supposed to be a good place. But there is not much ground to hunt in that area. Like Mr. Greeley said, "Go West Young Man!"

Closest oppurtuity is Bolton Wildlife Area west of Topeka.

Bolton is managed under a patch-burn grazing regime for the benefit of Prairie Chickens and other grassland wildlife. Prairie chickens can regualrly be found using the wildlife area however due to it's size,shape, and general location, birds are frequently off the area and can be pushed off relatively easily. Some other September WIHA in WB, JA, and PT offer limited oppurtuities.

Densities and oppurtunites are far better once as you move west into North central kansas in the smoky hills. Particularly once you get west of Salina.

Back