Porkys

hyresmack

Anybody running in to any porkys out there. Good old movie in its day but i hate the animal kind. I saw a dog get into one once and i hope benny never tangles with one. He prolly wouldn't know when to quit.

I've been lucky to avoid them by virtue of geographic determinism, but I've never hear anyone say, "My dog got into a porcupine, but it wasn't too bad."

I've had one encounter with porcupines in my life. My dad's 2 labs got into it with one about 15 years ago and boy, did that suck. They decided they were going to grab that porcupine so they had them on their tongue, roof of their mouth, nose. It sucked.

Never encountered one while bird hunting. Seen a number of them while deer hunting up north. My old had one above him while he was deer hunting and it was dropping things on him lol. So he raised his 30-06 and shot it holding the rifle straight up. Well down it came, crashing right into his stand. He's lucky it didn't land right on his head. Quills everywhere in his stand. Not a very smart move on his part.

Never saw one in 20 years hunting in Eastern SD. Saw a few grouse hunting in WI. Skunks on the otherhand... I've had a couple of run ins.

Shorthair ran into one on the Brule res a few years ago. Its definitely not fun if it happens..

Call me lucky, or whatever, but my Setters point porkies. Have encountered at least 1 with my last 3 dogs. Same for skunks.

For what it's worth....here's my take on porkies.
I now porky break my dogs...pretty much like snake breaking. I do this because I had my gwp female take 200 quills to the neck and chest after I released her off point to "get the bird".
A punctured lung, pulling quills 6 month later, almost losing her...plus 4 grand in vet bills gets your attention.
I also keep with me in the field the tools I will need to restrain the dog and remove any quills..

Those quills are fletched and it is shocking how fast they will progress deeper with any movement. They are also loaded with bacteria.
Do yourself a favor and hang on to the next porky you kill...I chuck mine in the freezer....and do a scent trail--shock collar training session.You got to burn them with the collar to get it to sink in...but it works. That was 15 years ago and I havn't had a problem since...

West River we ran into 6 porkys in 3 years. My brother’s Dog was hit once. Not fun. Haven’t seen any East River in 16 years of hunting. If you think about hunting West river, I would suggest keeping some tools on you to pull out quills.

Me and my buds have avoided glory holes because of this movie. lolz

Do you have to take a dog to the vet if they get attacked by one? I never seen any around here.

Sorry. I've had several porcupine encounters, but not one in 15 years.Had a racoon encounter 20 years ago that scared the heck out of me.Those things are tough!
I'll give you my best raccoon encounter... Dog (not mine) got into it with a coon. They were really tangled, I couldn't shoot the coon without shooting the dog. I really couldn't hit the coon with the butt of my gun without hitting the dog. I was able to eventually step on the coons neck and kind of get the coon on one side of my boot and the dog on the other side. Then the dog lets go, goes around to the backside of the coon and grabs it and starts pulling. I then slip as the dog drags the coon out from under my boot. The coon then bites my boot and won't let go. I am now on the ground with a coon biting my boot and staring at my face and dog pulling on the coon. Eventually 2 hunters I was with got over there and all ended well other than my boots were no longer waterproof... I tell you what though, laying on the ground with a coon staring at you while biting your boot is a bit scary, if that dog let go of the coon there's no doubt it would have been onto my body/face in a second.

I used to hunt in Carthage area and there was a farmers dog that loved to hunt with us. He’d go into the cattails and find raccoons to get in a wrestling match with them. It looked like the cartoons with the animals going around in circles. They would both finally gas out, you’d grab the dogs collar, pull him off and shoot the raccoon. Fun times.

I'll give you my best raccoon encounter... Dog (not mine) got into it with a coon. They were really tangled, I couldn't shoot the coon without shooting the dog. I really couldn't hit the coon with the butt of my gun without hitting the dog. I was able to eventually step on the coons neck and kind of get the coon on one side of my boot and the dog on the other side. Then the dog lets go, goes around to the backside of the coon and grabs it and starts pulling. I then slip as the dog drags the coon out from under my boot. The coon then bites my boot and won't let go. I am now on the ground with a coon biting my boot and staring at my face and dog pulling on the coon. Eventually 2 hunters I was with got over there and all ended well other than my boots were no longer waterproof... I tell you what though, laying on the ground with a coon staring at you while biting your boot is a bit scary, if that dog let go of the coon there's no doubt it would have been onto my body/face in a second.
That's a great story, thanks for sharing that. Raccoons are vicious fighters, and I'm sure they will bite a human.

I used to hunt in Carthage area and there was a farmers dog that loved to hunt with us. He’d go into the cattails and find raccoons to get in a wrestling match with them. It looked like the cartoons with the animals going around in circles. They would both finally gas out, you’d grab the dogs collar, pull him off and shoot the raccoon. Fun times.
I love it when a farmers dog tags along on a hunt.Thats fun stuff.

Back