Porcupines On The Prairies

I was hunting around New England ND about 5 years ago and one of my GSP's found one that required a trip to the vet in Dickinson. Crazy thing was, it wasn't in a thicket or around trees, it was out in a CRP field. I only wish I could find a Porcupine avoidance class to put my dogs through.
Navy,
After almost losing one of my wirehairs to a 300+ quill event to the throat and chest (in kansas), collapsed lung, the works...I took it upon myself to porky break all my dogs...and be better prepared.
I have always been able to harvest a porky at my home in AK, throw it in the freezer and then do a rope drag and electric session.
Has worked 100% for all the dogs that received the training.
You could also use road kill...might be a little messy though..

I also keep with me all the tools to restrain the dog and pull quills. Those medical locking pliers (hemostats ??) seem to hold onto the quills better than pliers. Had to do my buddies gsp last fall. 20 minutes and we had it all wrapped up..
At a minimum,be prepared, and get the quills out immediately. The longer you wait and the more the dog moves....the further in they travel. The quills are fletched such that they inch forward and go only one way....thats what makes them so hard to pull.
Vet should be 2nd line of defense.....imo

I read somewhere that clipping part of the exposed end helps them pull out easier since it relieves the suction? I just yanked them out the one time it happened to my dog. One migrated through her body and came out in front of a hind leg. Darn near killed her. $5k at the University of Minnesota saved her life. She lived to 15 so it was more than worth it.

I read somewhere that clipping part of the exposed end helps them pull out easier since it relieves the suction? I just yanked them out the one time it happened to my dog. One migrated through her body and came out in front of a hind leg. Darn near killed her. $5k at the University of Minnesota saved her life. She lived to 15 so it was more than worth it.
I had heard that too but when I brought that up on another forum, on the idea the quills are hollow and hold air, and by clipping the ends, they withdraw a tiny bit making them easier to pull, that that was a bit of a fallacy. I was told that wastes time, makes little difference anyway, and you’re removing a portion of what you may need to grip if it takes more than one pull. I was told it was best to just start plucking them out right away.

I had heard that too but when I brought that up on another forum, on the idea the quills are hollow and hold air, and by clipping the ends, they withdraw a tiny bit making them easier to pull, that that was a bit of a fallacy. I was told that wastes time, makes little difference anyway, and you’re removing a portion of what you may need to grip if it takes more than one pull. I was told it was best to just start plucking them out right away.
I tried clipping a few in half and saw no difference on the pull, with the dog flinching and moving it’s hard enough to pull them straight out. Honest question, can anyone name a benefit to having porcupines on a piece of land? How do they help nature? A case can be made for almost every critter but I struggle with them.

The secret is to have an extractor that grips the quill without slipping and get the quills out ASAP. Don't let them migrate into the dog.
The porkies were here first and I respect that.

The secret is to have an extractor that grips the quill without slipping and get the quills out ASAP. Don't let them migrate into the dog.
The porkies were here first and I respect that.
I agree because that’s all I can come up with. IMG_5452.png
I use these in a smaller size, the 90 helps when they are in the face to grab close to skin.

Navy,
After almost losing one of my wirehairs to a 300+ quill event to the throat and chest (in kansas), collapsed lung, the works...I took it upon myself to porky break all my dogs...and be better prepared.
I have always been able to harvest a porky at my home in AK, throw it in the freezer and then do a rope drag and electric session.

I also keep with me all the tools to restrain the dog and pull quills. Those medical locking pliers (hemostats ??) seem to hold onto the quills better than pliers. Had to do my buddies gsp last fall. 20 minutes and we had it all wrapped up..
At a minimum,be prepared, and get the quills out immediately. The longer you wait and the more the dog moves....the further in they travel. The quills are fletched such that they inch forward and go only one way....thats what makes them so hard to pull.
That is a great idea, Haretrigger. I have a buddy that routinely has porcupines on his property, I will give it a shot

Navy,

IMG_5461.png
They exist!

Back