Porcupine Question

Hulions

I posted earlier about planning for a trip to Kansas this winter to hunt Pheasant and Quail. Being from Florida, we don't have to worry about or dogs running into a porcupine and getting a face full of quills. Is this something that I should be worried about? How often do you guys see this happen? I can't stand the thought of my lab getting a mouth full of quills on our trip. Not to mention what my wife would do to me. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
You don't have to worry about porcupines. Skunks, barbwire and maybe cattleguards. Porcupines no I think I have seen 2 in 30 some years

I posted earlier about planning for a trip to Kansas this winter to hunt Pheasant and Quail. Being from Florida, we don't have to worry about or dogs running into a porcupine and getting a fave full of quills. Is this something that I should be worried about? How often do you guys see this happen? I can't stand the thought of my lab getting a mouth full of quills on our trip. Not to mention what my wife would do to me. Thanks for the help.

We have a few of them in KS. Had one encounter in decades of hunting.

zero porkies in 35+ years of hunting in Kansas, skunks, almost every year. carry some hydrogen peroxide and baking soda + water.

Last edited:
Another thought is whether to boot your dogs. I didn't last year all though we had some issues with sand burrs. A good set of forceps is a must (porkies up north and sand burrs down south). The burrs are sporadic but can cripple up a dog pretty fast.

About four years ago, my dog was hit by a porky - trip to the vet and $180 to remove the quills. This event was in south central SD. I'm very wary of both skunks and porky's - he has encountered both. Suggest you pay close attention to the dog that appears to be on a bird scent, but if fact is a critter. My Golden points and if nothing fly's...it's probably trouble, so I pull him off asap.

Maple Hills Kennel, NE of Minneapolis, just into Wisconsin. He's 9.5 now and hasn't slowed much. Fun to watch him point - he learned it very early during our training sessions...

zero porkies in 35+ years of hunting in Kansas, skunks, almost every year. carry some hydrogen peroxide and baking soda + water.
Thanks for the heads up on the skunks , we're coming from Va. in January. Long way to travel with a "skunked" dog ! I'll definitely pack the Hydrogen peroxide. / baking soda ( works well in my experience ). Is there anything that helps with the wife after we get home ( assuming the skunk happens ) 😅

Explain to me how I would use the peroxide and baking soda. Do I just mix it together and use it like a shampoo. Will the peroxide effect the color of my dogs hair. I ask because my wife said she used it as a teenager to dye her hair :ROFLMAO:

Dang, I can't remember the proportions off of the top of my head. We carry a skunk kit. It's a 20 oz squirt bottle with marks on the side for so much hydrogen peroxide, so much baking soda , so much dish soap and fill with water than squirt it on the dog.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
Table spoon of dawn dish soap ( cuts the oily residue )
Mix , wash dog , repeat as needed ( until your wife can't smell skunk ) 😅

1/4 cup baking soda
2 teaspoons mild dishwasher soap
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
mix and scrub dog down
work suds well into coat, keep out of dogs eyes
leave on for 5 minutes
rinse with warm water
use dog shampoo as needed

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
Table spoon of dawn dish soap ( cuts the oily residue )
Mix , wash dog , repeat as needed ( until your wife can't smell skunk ) 😅

Thank you! I will definitely make sure that I pack that with us. We made out reservations for a place to stay in Kansas yesterday. We will be staying in the Salina area. Now I have to control my excitement for the next 6 months. Thanks again of all of the help and information.

Thank you! I will definitely make sure that I pack that with us. We made out reservations for a place to stay in Kansas yesterday. We will be staying in the Salina area. Now I have to control my excitement for the next 6 months. Thanks again of all of the help and information.
I know , we'll be there from 1-10 / 1-16. We are stoked ! When are you going ?

Back