Porcupine Question

I'll be sure to post about it when we get home. If you think about it, message me before you leave and I'll let you know what I found.

Thank you! I will definitely make sure that I pack that with us. We made out reservations for a place to stay in Kansas yesterday. We will be staying in the Salina area. Now I have to control my excitement for the next 6 months. Thanks again of all of the help and information.

more things you might want to pack......several pairs of rubber gloves and a cheap pair of Tyvek painters coveralls.
otherwise you might will smell worse than the dog!

You may end up doing the Peroxide/Baking Soda/Dawn treatment twice. Do it as stated, rinse very well and do it again. I also carry Skunk Off shampoo. $6/8oz on Amazon. It's a good finish after the peroxide treatment. Leaves them with a nice scent. Skunk Off alone won't do the trick though.

Natures miracle. Get it at TSC or Feeders supply. Works very good on everything but plastic collars. Put those in ziplock bags with solution for a day or so. Wont get it completely off but not near as messy as the peroxide stuff.

My experience is a little different than others -- I've 6 or 7 porkie encounters in Kansas in the last 5 years. All have come south of 400 and west of I-35 though. Last encounter was just this last fall. I've got a dog that likes to eat them, so I've got a keen eye for them when he's on the ground -- I spotted the last one from about 175 yards away in a tree.

The photo was #2 in 2014, before we'd ever encountered one in Kansas. This one was in central Montana he managed his first Kansas porkie in late January 2015. The Kansas ones must not be as mean, because he's never had it this bad in Kansas.

This same dog tried to bring me a live skunk 2 years ago.

I was telling a story last weekend about being into a load of quail at a spot killing some birds off of one point and having a dog (different dog than my porkie eater) go on point about 250 yards away and walking to him to find him drooling like a mad man. We went up to flush birds and nothing but the dog never moved. Turned around and there was a porkie sitting on a yucca eating some prickly pear.

Attachments

• Finn Porkie.jpg
    Finn Porkie.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 18
My experience is a little different than others -- I've 6 or 7 porkie encounters in Kansas in the last 5 years. All have come south of 400 and west of I-35 though. Last encounter was just this last fall. I've got a dog that likes to eat them, so I've got a keen eye for them when he's on the ground -- I spotted the last one from about 175 yards away in a tree.

The photo was #2 in 2014, before we'd ever encountered one in Kansas. This one was in central Montana he managed his first Kansas porkie in late January 2015. The Kansas ones must not be as mean, because he's never had it this bad in Kansas.

This same dog tried to bring me a live skunk 2 years ago.

I was telling a story last weekend about being into a load of quail at a spot killing some birds off of one point and having a dog (different dog than my porkie eater) go on point about 250 yards away and walking to him to find him drooling like a mad man. We went up to flush birds and nothing but the dog never moved. Turned around and there was a porkie sitting on a yucca eating some prickly pear.
Damn ! That looks painful. I should think it would only happen once.

Damn ! That looks painful. I should think it would only happen once.
I had to pull his mouth open to get the first one out! When we were taking him to the vet, I was freaking out a little bit. I had a buddy of mine said it's going to be okay. I asked him if he thought he would ever do this again. His response was, "I've owned a lot of dogs in my time and most have been hit with a porcupine. They have one of two reactions, they never touch them again or they want to kill every expletive they come across." He then laughed and said, "I've never had to pull a porcupine out of a dog's mouth. I'm guessing this is going to be the latter." 😂

I had to pull his mouth open to get the first one out! When we were taking him to the vet, I was freaking out a little bit. I had a buddy of mine said it's going to be okay. I asked him if he thought he would ever do this again. His response was, "I've owned a lot of dogs in my time and most have been hit with a porcupine. They have one of two reactions, they never touch them again or they want to kill every expletive they come across." He then laughed and said, "I've never had to pull a porcupine out of a dog's mouth. I'm guessing this is going to be the latter." 😂
🤣 probably a pretty accurate prediction !

I had no idea there were porkys in Kansas until about 5 years ago when both of my dogs came up with a face full of quills north of Russell. Youngest got off pretty light but the other required a trip to the vet and anesthesia. Luckily we’ve had no repeats though I’m very nervous when in that area now.

I’ve never seen one in KS but I know a few guys who have had encounters. I’ve been lucky with skunks but one did have a bad day while I was blackpowder deer hunting. It was me or the skunk. You can guess how that went.

I hunt western KS quite a bit. I've never seen a porky, but the dog has been skunked. We've run into big raccoons, a badger (growling in a bush), coyotes, and a bobcat. Luckily the dogs managed to avoid those pitfalls.

I have had only one encounter with a porcupine, in 20 years. Be sure and use pliers close to the entered point to pull out the quills, so that you don’t push poison into the dog. Skunks are at least a every other year occurrence.

Back