poly choke

mla1967

I just bought a older Remington 16 gauge with a poly choke I never have used one who has experience with them on there older guns and do you like them.
I am going to pick up some Golden Pheasants and try to see how it patterns this weekend.

I bought a new Remington 870 in 16 ga. in the early 1960's, send the barrel to Herter's and had them install one of their adjustable chokes (similar to the Poly choke). I used that gun for about 15 years and felt the adjustable choke worked well although I don't ever remember patterning it. They are not the most attractive thing on a shotgun but can be quite functional. If I was you I would pattern the gun using the various settings on the choke. Good luck.

My dad sent his Ithaca 37 12ga to PolyChoke when he bought it in '52'. He always kept it set to Full and killed a lot of pheasants and ducks. I had a Savage 16ga semi auto that had one and I brought down a lot of pheasants and broke plenty of clays. I don't think you'll be disappointed with yours.

I put a Poly choke on my old Browning A5. Worked well. Some don't like the look and call it a distraction. I found it to be a non issue. You have to pattern it to find the settings, but get to know what setting shoots what pattern and you are set for quick adaptations in the field.

My first "good" shotgun was an 870 in the early 1960s that I bought an extra barrel for and put a Poly Choke on it. I shot everything with it and the only drawback I had with it was that as I walked up on cover I'd be twisting it more and more open. After I shot or moved on I'd go back to full and start the process all over. Only did it on upland birds obviously but I darned near wore the threads out taking advantage of its adjustability. If yours has a vented end (that was the deluxe model) the ribs between the slots get crystallized or somehow weakened over time and lots of shells and become somewhat delicate. They'll break on their own or with a surprisingly light hit. Nothing you can do about it if you use the gun so if it happens welcome to Poly Choke world. Poly Chokes for some reason reduce the value of the gun too.
Let us know how the patterning goes so I'll know if my method actually worked or was all in my mind.:)

I bought an old Model 37 with a Poly Choke on one of the 2 barrels with which it came many years ago. I absolutely loved that thing - back in the lead shot waterfowling days, it accounted for many a long goose, although there was nothing pretty-looking about the thing. Still have it - I just seldom use it anymore, favoring 20 & 28's as I do now. Pattern it & see what it will do.

Back