Pointing Labs in Kansas

NMpointinglab

Anyone besides my Brother, Son, Daughter and I hunting over them?? Three yellows and a chocolate all less than 3.5 years old locking up on Quail and Phez.

If you love upland and waterfowling it is a cool way to go. Been hunting SW Kansas for 30 years....wish I would have found pointing labs back then.

Anyway, more curious than anything to see if anyone else has given it a run.

Chuck

Yes. I have a black female. She'll be 4 in February. I got her from a kennel in Concordia.

I hunt over a yellow lab, absolutely love the points. She doesn’t hold a point but for just a few seconds, but when she is about ready to flush or point a bird it is unbelievably obvious. Love the versatility of labs. Hunt upland birds one day and then go shoot ducks the next. Got her from top dog kennels (TDK) in South Dakota.

I had one who passed and now have a 3.5 year old that will point them but not super hard. She will be breed next cycle in about 6 months as she is in heat now with a pointing lab stud from Missouri my friend has that trains pointing labs and GSP's. That's her in the profile pic at 6 months.

Very cool! I thought maybe my family was going at it alone. Our four pointing Labs (Cheese, Crackers, Peanut (Choc) and Butter) are from Tiger Mountain Pointing Labs in Washington State...couldn't be happier with them.

Anyone besides my Brother, Son, Daughter and I hunting over them?? Three yellows and a chocolate all less than 3.5 years old locking up on Quail and Phez.

If you love upland and waterfowling it is a cool way to go. Been hunting SW Kansas for 30 years....wish I would have found pointing labs back then.

Anyway, more curious than anything to see if anyone else has given it a run.

Chuck
Chuck, I also hunt SWKS, Hugoton area, I have a great 4 year old Brittany that finds birds and points like a champ, but doesn’t retrieve great. If you’re up for it, It would be awesome to get the four dogs together to see how it goes. I have access to a bunch of private land that could use a few extra dogs and hunters. Let me know if you are interested and we can find a date that works. My brother also has a motel in town to make it convenient. Shoot me a note at Justin.suddath@gmail.com if you are interested in connecting. P.S. I am not a guide, preserve or any type of business, just looking for good folks to hunt with.

Justin

Chuck, I also hunt SWKS, Hugoton area, I have a great 4 year old Brittany that finds birds and points like a champ, but doesn’t retrieve great. If you’re up for it, It would be awesome to get the four dogs together to see how it goes. I have access to a bunch of private land that could use a few extra dogs and hunters. Let me know if you are interested and we can find a date that works. My brother also has a motel in town to make it convenient. Shoot me a note at Justin.suddath@gmail.com if you are interested in connecting. P.S. I am not a guide, preserve or any type of business, just looking for good folks to hunt with.

Justin
Hi Justin , we'll be there (Lucas) in January from Va. would love to spend a day getting our "feet on the ground" so to speak. We've never hunted KS. Bringing Brittany's and Lab. Email @ birddogs4evr@cox.net... no worries either way !

Had a yellow one that I had to putdown in April 13.5 old. He would work close and hold a point for a little bit but was always in gun range. Got another Brit 5 years ago right after I retired best dog I've ever had. I figure it has to do with him always with me during the day. Will be looking for another Brit if anybody knows of a good breeder.

There is a breeder in Atwood KS that has pointing labs, Lankas Labs. Heard they are pretty good hunting dogs.

Silver? Um, yeah. Lots of controversy about those.

I've had pointing labs since about 1981. Some pointed better than others but it's a pretty helpful trait in the pheasant fields.

My best was a chocolate male. Did a lot of amazing things. The old stop during a retrieve with a rooster in the mouth to point another rooster. He did that several times.

Silver? Um, yeah. Lots of controversy about those.

I've had pointing labs since about 1981. Some pointed better than others but it's a pretty helpful trait in the pheasant fields.

My best was a chocolate male. Did a lot of amazing things. The old stop during a retrieve with a rooster in the mouth to point another rooster. He did that several times.
That's impressive!

I agree West. I've hunted behind a couple of them and I'm not impressed.
They don't point or how come? A lot is in training with any dog. You can buy a well pedigreed dog but if you don't spend time training it usually will bite you.

Justin
Justin,

I see you hunt the Hugoton area. I will be there tonight. We always stay at the Flamingo. Blue Ford pickup with white dog trailer. Stop and say hello if you see me out and about.

Skeet

Bird Buster
They don't point or how come? A lot is in training with any dog. You can buy a well pedigreed dog but if you don't spend time training it usually will bite you.
Bird Buster they breed their dogs for color. Yes they have some pointing line in them but that's only part of what they are breeding for. You can do a lot better for your money.

Have hunted behind two dogs from Atwood. Neither one points, one wants to fight all the time and the other just walks, doesn't hunt. Sample size is small and I'm sure they have put out some good dogs, but I agree you can do a lot better for your money.

Back