Pointers and Flushers hunted together?

Sherman Tank occasionally hunts with my brother in laws Britney Bella. Bella obviously has a much higher energy level and goes further faster longer. Sherman sees her point and then cowboys in to flush the birds generally going underneath her legs:rolleyes: Bella wants to find the next bird so she tolerates his antics. Retrieval is first dog to get there which means Bella however Sherman tries hard to beat her to the bird. ;)
I hunt with a friend who has a pointer and she gets very irked to have flushers along especially if the flusher blows through her dogs point. I have seen what a disaster that can be, however i think the humans were more upset than the dogs. I do like the way Bella and Sherman work together because all humans are out of gun range and anyone in our group can shoot the bird. The kicker is we all humans and pooches have a great family bonding experience:cheers:

We hunt flushers with our pointers quite often.
One particular Golden however, is so tuned into a pointer locking up that you had better be ready if she is within a few yards of My son's GSP or my buddy's Griffon.
That golden will come in at full gallop because she KNOWS they have at least on bird planted!!:laugh:

It's great fun, and all the dogs work very well together.
In the late season with will point and block with labs up at the end of a grove and run the pointers through it.
The runners get put up by the labs and the blockers blockers take turns with the pointers .
Many times we will get a rooster laying low for the pointers however, so one must be ever vigilante.:)
DT

bringing this thread back to life.

today was the first time that I hunted my GSP with a "good" flusher. Not sure how my pointer felt about it, but I had a blast! it really couldn't have worked out any better. The flushing dog was a high energy, close working springer that seemed to learn very quickly what the beeping from my dogs collar meant. Both dogs were very willing to go into the garbage with my dog leading the way, going on point, and then the flusher would eventually flush it. If our marksmanship would have been as good as the dogs, we would have had a pretty short day. Looking back, perhaps it was a good thing we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn because the dogs seemed to get better as the day went on. the dogs seemed to have very similar noses and they really didn't care that each other were there until my dog pointed, which seemed to help. We were worried that the springer would see my dog working out so far and be tempted to follow vs staying close to us.

my opinion might be changing on the whole idea. If every day would be guaranteed to work like it did today, I would probably buy a flushing dog tomorrow.

Back