Playing with patterns

BrownDogsCan2

I have never patterned before until this morning. Here’s a few pics from my over and under . The patterns are with 11/4 once Kent # 4 bismuth and one shell of 1 ounce shell of #6 boss bismuth. Patterns were shot at 25, 30, and 40 yards. The gun didn’t like Light mod could be user error but 3 of the 5 shells shot high and left. Every thing was shot off hand. M didn’t do much better with some pheasant size holes at 30 yards that remained noticeable even after 4 shells.
The first pic is of the target shot at 25 yards using Improved mod. You can see that the wad has just separated and whacked the paper at the top of the ring. It’s still pretty tight. I shot a load of 6s at the same target and gained about 8 or 10 inches of pattern.
IMG_4052.jpeg

The second target was shot bottom barrel three shells at 30 and has opened up to fill the 30 “ circle.

IMG_4053.jpeg

The third target is at 40 and hasn’t opened up much past what it was at 30. Counting pellets and looking at the target you can see I pulled the second or third shell.

IMG_4054.jpeg

Last target is the top barrel at 40.

IMG_4055.jpeg

I have a couple of questions for you.
1) Shotgun make
2) Factory or Aftermarket chokes (maker)

I have a couple of questions for you.
1) Shotgun make
2) Factory or Aftermarket chokes (maker)
FABARM Elos d2. Turlock extended hunter choke tubes.
I also shot some short range patterns at 22 yds with #4 and 6 steel and #6 bismuth through the factory improved and carlson’s skeet.
And some at 40 yds with number 2 fiocchi bismuth through factory modified tubes in my benelli and franchi.. The franchi threw a really nice even pattern. A goose crusher.

Have you ever measured the bores and each choke?
I have found numerous times what it says on the tube is not what the choke actually is in regards to the bore constriction. Browning factory chokes are notorious for it. Most aftermarket’s are true to size.
Your patterns look good for hunting loads. The top barrel looks a little loose at 40 and a bit high.

When I pattern I try to have something I can lean the barrels into like a post. Helps steady the barrel and keep the margin for error lower if you move the barrels.

No I haven’t . I agree but I was shot out. I’m going to shoot the top barrel again. I need to order another light mod for sporting, I think I’ll add another improved mod, and if they make it for my gun a choke they market as a long range dove choke that’s ,027. They’ll do an exchange if they don’t do any better.
They do a 3for that comes with a case free shipping and if I remember right like 15 percent off.

I always measure my bores. It helps me when I select chokes. My older Citori’s have pretty tight bores in comparison to what they advertise so I have to be selective on which chokes to use. I use Briley extended in my Citori’s but Rhino chokes in my A400 (I only use that for sporting clays).
I have also found that as I increase shot size I lessen chokes constriction. For me it seems to give a better pattern.
There app I use called Telemetrics. It is really helpful for patterning.

Do you just have a gun smith measure your bores. Telemetrics you need to buy their paper don’t you?
The guys at the range sure do love their rhinos! I’m finally starting to get more consistent at sporting nothing spectacular but I’m breaking most of the fsrgets I should be breaking. I’m still shooting my field gun 6lbs 5 ounces , if I’m still into it in the spring as much I am now I’m going to have to start looking for a sporting gun. It’s addictive and a lot fun.

Last edited:
Telemetrics has specific targets you need to use but you can buy them from National Target Company. Nice thing is I can screen shot my targets and keep them for reference.
You can go on Amazon and buy a bore gauge. I just run it in the muzzle, lock it in place and measure with a micrometer. I also verify my chokes as well.
image.jpg
I got back into Sporting couple of years ago after a long hiatus. It is very addicting. Rhino chokes makes a great combo construction for sporting. I really like their .017 constriction. With an 1-1/8 load of 8’s it crushes targets. The .007 is another good constriction. The .022 is a bit tight for my me but there are a lot of guys who run chokes that tight for competitions.

Here’s the new patterns . Bottom barrel is from a second trulock light mod .710 tube I ordered . Top barrel is a trulock light full .697. This was offhand 30 and 40 yds.
I float the bird but I shot these with a flatter bead than I normally would to get the pattern down a little bit.
Kent 1 1/4 #4s I think I’m happy with these, should be a great shell late season.

IMG_4142.jpeg

IMG_4139.jpeg

Here’s the new patterns . Bottom barrel is from a second trulock light mod .710 tube I ordered . Top barrel is a trulock light full .697. This was offhand 30 and 40 yds.
I float the bird but I shot these with a flatter bead than I normally would to get the pattern down a little bit.
Kent 1 1/4 #4s I think I’m happy with these, should be a great shell late season.

View attachment 8682

View attachment 8683

16 Gauge...???

So I took 3 shots just as I would be shooting a bird today, no aiming like a rifle, just a natural shot and here is what it looks like. I was going for a 60/40 shot distribution. I did not count pellets but I would say I am pretty close to 60/40. I could shim down to a D shim and lower POI but I think I am satisfied. This was with a modified Briley extended tube at 25 yds. Next I will try a couple of different loads at 30 yds to see which shell and choke combo the gun likes. These shots were with #5 Golden Pheasant.

Attachments

• M2 Pattern.jpg
    M2 Pattern.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
Ran my .017” Rhino in the A400 today for dove as they seem a bit spooky lately. That choke constriction was crushing them at distance.

Last edited:
pellet counts on some of my lead shells. B&P pg throws the best pattern of any shell I’ve patterned and through an IC. 264/328 80% at 30. Pellet count is closer to a 6.5 or 7. It’s been hell on the 3 chickens I’ve shot with it. If I didn’t have so many shells in the freezer so to speak I’d be shooting privelege game 6s and 5s for tox pheasants.

IMG_4185.jpeg

Last edited:
Back