Plans for the Remains of the Season?

BritChaser

Anyone going to get in one more hunt before Feb. 1? My huntin' buddy and I have a tradition going way back of hunting the last two days of the season. So, I will heading to the happy hunting grounds in NW early next week. The trip out will include a pit stop at Meridy's where the bartender always mixes a good one for me. Got a bottle of bourbon on board the huntin' wagon for some warming imbibing after the guns are put away. Does it get any better than that? :D

UPDATE: Rather slim pickings for 2.5 days of hunting: two cocks and a quail, but lots of good dog work from my 13-month-old rescue Brit. Located five coveys of quail to add to the five known. We're thinking about a quail-focus day for next season.

Last edited:
Sounds great Brit! Hope you have a good hunt. Be safe and let us know how you do.
I had every intention of heading to Kansas for the last last 2 days of the season but it looks like I'm changing plans and heading to witchita falls, Tx to pick up a new pup!

Thanks and good luck with that new pup.

Good luck to all getting after ‘em! I’ll be duck hunting for the final weekend. Our honey hole is loaded with mallards, so I have high hopes for a couple of good shoots to end the duck season.

Good luck to everyone. Please let us know how you do and post some pics. I have family obligations this weekend and am traveling for work next week, so unfortunately my season is over.

Sitting home with a bitch whose temperature has dropped to 98.6. Probably be whelping pups in the next 24-48 hours! Sure hope they come during the day!!! Ya'all give them heck for me! Been one of those years!

I just got back from a vacation with the wife, so now that I have her happy I will be heading out Tuesday to hunt until the end of the season. This trip will get me up to 16 days this year out west, not the amount of time I usually spend, but the farm takes more and more time every year it seems. My sons are getting old enough that maybe hunting almost the whole season after harvest isn't too far away.

Drove the 6 hours one way. Walked 13 miles. Got into a very big covey of quail. Had several points on hens. My almost 2 year old shorthair worked a rooster just like you'd want, locked it down, but the rooster flushed out in front of him just too far out of gun range. The 13 miles of walking, and going uphill to get him might have been part of it.

The good news is we saw pheasants in every field we hunted. Several hens in gun range. Roosters all wanted to do the 1/4 mile flush. Thats enough to keep the legs from hurting for a few minutes anyways.

Milo on a point of a hen
kAqyy9L.jpg

5 month old carrying my quail (I won't post a picture of Milo doing the original retrieve, this was just a training exercise)
U5AmlZy.jpg

"What do I do with this now?"
iKtFTd2.jpg

Where did you end up getting the pup from Cheesy? Is he local?

He was pretty local you could say, inadvertent backyard breeding. That’s what happens when you’re not paying attention.

Wife was adamant we weren’t keeping him. “We don’t need another animal in this house”. So adamant in fact, she makes sure his seat heater is turned on when taking him with her to drop off the kids at school.

View attachment 9096

Poor thing thought the world was coming to an end when he had to slum it in the dog box this weekend.

Packed up and headed out for the last hunt of the year. I should be eating a cheeseburger in the Cozy at Ness around noon. It looks like the weather will be good so that's a start.

We hunted 2.5 days and shot 11. We were quitting early afternoon each day. I had a double ear infection and bronchitis. The doctor told me to say home............. I shot my limit yesterday by noon. My friend isn't shooting his new gun real well or he would have shot more birds. We shot at least one bird everywhere we hunted. The birds are really fat and in good shape so they could handle a small stretch of bad weather if we get it. There are enough birds that if they have a good hatch next year will be really good. We saw several lucky roosters this morning heading out to get my dogs.

We hunted 2.5 days and shot 11. We were quitting early afternoon each day. I had a double ear infection and bronchitis. The doctor told me to say home............. I shot my limit yesterday by noon. My friend isn't shooting his new gun real well or he would have shot more birds. We shot at least one bird everywhere we hunted. The birds are really fat and in good shape so they could handle a small stretch of bad weather if we get it. There are enough birds that if they have a good hatch next year will be really good. We saw several lucky roosters this morning heading out to get my dogs.

Sounds like a pretty good finish to the year (other than the ear infection and bronchitis). Glad to hear the birds are looking healthy. Time to start the countdown to next season.

I made it out for the last day with my 11 month old wirehair. We have put in a lot of yard work, but due to work, weather and kid's sports, this was only her 3rd time out this season. The first time I took her out was the youth season and the boys missed a couple of roosters and quail, the next was a half day on the second weekend and I shot a quail and she pointed a hen. We made the 4+ hour drive and finally started hunting at 10:00, by 10:30 she had pointed her first rooster and also found it after a terrible mark by me (she attempted a retrieve, but wasn't quite sure). We saw around 30 birds, but all but that one rooster flushed well out of range. It felt good to get that first rooster!

I made it out for the last day with my 11 month old wirehair. We have put in a lot of yard work, but due to work, weather and kid's sports, this was only her 3rd time out this season. The first time I took her out was the youth season and the boys missed a couple of roosters and quail, the next was a half day on the second weekend and I shot a quail and she pointed a hen. We made the 4+ hour drive and finally started hunting at 10:00, by 10:30 she had pointed her first rooster and also found it after a terrible mark by me (she attempted a retrieve, but wasn't quite sure). We saw around 30 birds, but all but that one rooster flushed well out of range. It felt good to get that first rooster!

Kinda neat when a pup locks down that first rooster, second day out my 11 month old got his first rooster. That was back in November.

Back