Plans for Pheasant Opener...

Let's hear them....I will be up north in the rice country in Richvale chasing pheasants with my two Labradors, my 16 gauge sxs, and my 7-year-old who is tagging along on his first opening day pheasant hunt.

In Richvale, we hunt a mix of wild and planted birds that the local community puts out for the visiting hunters and I plan to visit a nearby wildlife refuge on Sunday to chase the wild birds exclusively. Too much craziness on pheasant opener at the wildlife areas, I think, to bring my 7-year-old. Richvale will be a safer, more pleasant introduction -- birds or no birds -- and I do like spending a fall day walking around all the rice farms.

Last edited:
I'll be in Richvale also with a hoard of springers. I plan to wait until wednesday to hunt Graylodge hope for a few roosters and a Thanksgiving turkey like last year. After that I might head up to the Klamath Basin for a day or two.

Nice quail hound....you know what they say about great minds....Will you trailer/camp out there in Richvale? I've always wanted to do that... But we will be at a motel in Willows...Hope to attend the post-hunt spaghetti feed at the elementary school... Always a highlight, particularly if you got lucky with a limit of roosters.

Yeah, we camp right off richvale hwy just west of the cherokee. I'll be at the feed also. Nice little community up there. My brother and I both got a turkey last year at GL but I also heard of a guy getting one east of the cherokee in Richvale last year.

Hey SD. I think I saw you today. Do you drive a silver Tacoma?

Hey QH....Yep...that was me. Saw your team of springers in action. Pretty cool. Weird to be hunting in the middle of the rice harvest going on all around us, field burnings, etc. Super late this year....Will be back up in Richvale for a Thanksgiving Day hunt.

No matter how well you think they're trained or how good they're hunting they will chase a gone away bird halfway to the next county when another hunter is around.:D How did you and your boy do? We moved 8 birds before 10 o'clock Saturday morning. We've covered a lot of ground and only flushed 3 hens. Its very sad seeing the wild bird numbers decline every year.:(

Well...we actually came home empty-handed....Just can't hunt very long or very hard with a 7-year-old along. Took a hail Mary shot at one fast-departing wild rooster ... and that was the only chance we had. The usual fields I like to hunt were already staked out by other hunters by the time we showed up...

Needed to get lucky and stumble into birds right away because the boy was only good for a pass or two....needing breaks, snacks, etc. .... But we had great father/son bonding time and I think I've got a future pheasant hunter on my hands...

I do have a love/hate relationship with Richvale ... Love the community and the tradition and the pheasant hunting heritage....but hate to see all that clean farming and entire fields devoid of cover....Seems like there are fewer fields to hunt each year...and less cover on the remaining fields...

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Talking to the farmers and hearing them blame coyote is getting old. I hate seeing the fields that weren't farmed this year tilled black instead of just left fallow. A little nesting habitat would go along way up here.

Back