Planning A Trip

CowboyBirdDogs

Me and some buddies are thinking about heading to Pierre for the opener this year, any tips on where to stay or any general information about the town, or just general advice for the trip?

Well on opening you will have lots of company that's for sure. I would TRY to book a motel room NOW. If you can do the camping thing that is a possibility. Nice town and nice area but gets hunted hard as does everywhere in SD on opening week. Good luck :)

Yes sir I've been looking at hotels. I've checked out the River Inn Lodge, the Super 8 and Days Inn. Trying to decide which one is the best out of the 3. I plan on booking ASAP.

I've stayed at the super 8 more than a couple of times. It is what it is. There are no outside room entrances, but I usually get a basement room and open the sliding window to pass guns and stuff through. Mexican restaurant right next to it is pretty good. Mad Mary's for a steak. Opening weekend will be a madhouse. Also hit the sporting goods store in the basement of Dakota Mart. They will be four deep getting licenses and ammo friday before the opener:eek:

I've got reservations at the super 8 at the end of opening week. Rates were pretty good, I think around $ 45 a night but I booked the room a couple of months ago.

It sure sounds like it will be a zoo out there that week, so I plan to do some driving to get away from town a bit before my pup ever comes out of the truck.

Make a List

I think this will help you a lot. Make a list of the items you will be taking with you. Do it now. Then, over the next couple months, you can update it as you think of other things you will need or won't need that can come off the list.

Next, when it comes time to pack for the trip, check the items off your list as you pack them. When it comes time to load your vehicle, check off each large container/item. By this I mean, Gun(s), Duffel Bag, Ammo Box, etc. By doing this there is a lot less chance that you will forget something you really need.
(Where are my Boots?! Oh, by the door at home!)

Trust me, this is worth it.

Lock and Load! :D

Back