Phillips County report

2Setters/2Barrels

I recently moved back to the Springs area after being gone from CO for six years. I thought I'd venture back to Holyoke for a quick peek, where until about six years ago, I did fairly well in irrigation corners on walk-in properties. Yesterday afternoon was gray, 39 degrees with a north wind. Covered two properties without any sight of birds. Walked along snow drifts roadside and did not see any tracks. On third property, had a training issue with a one year old pup running. Searching for him, two roosters flushed near sundown.

Went back to that property first thing this morning at 21 degrees, calm, but gray. My nine year old setter made a great point on one and saw one other flush too far away.

Desk clerk at the motel told me a hail storm this spring was so severe that it killed cattle. She stated that until the hail, optimism was high. She stated it was a good snow winter and with good spring moisture, the consensus was the drought has subsided. I was remote at the time, but I watched the weather all year, and missed the report of this event.

I don't know if I saw enough to go back this season. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the report. I haven't been around Holyoke this year but it has been slim up in that area for a few years now IMHO. Last year I went into a piece of private that no one had been in all season and only saw three roosters in about five miles of walking. Hadn't heard of that hail storm but it sounds like it was a doozy!

I'm a little upset with myself for not hearing of it either. When I left CO six years ago, I quit on Holyoke-just got tired of walking for days to see one or two birds. However, I never stopped researching, thinking I would like to return. I saw the good moisture there this year and because I moved back, I thought I'd go out for a couple of days. After only seeing a couple birds in two days, I'm not sure I'll try again. Maybe if we get some snow. I've a nine year old setter and a one year old who needs more experience. Thanks

My two 2-day trips to the Yuma and Holyoke areas the last few weeks were pretty similar . Both trips were just me and one or another of my labs and about 50/50 private and WIA. Really good cover and very few birds. I missed one medium/ long shot. One of those days was with 2" of fresh snow. That area needs several years of good weather and no hailstorm for the birds to recover. And here's a shout out for Happy Jack's BBQ in Holyoke. Great food.

My two 2-day trips to the Yuma and Holyoke areas the last few weeks were pretty similar . Both trips were just me and one or another of my labs and about 50/50 private and WIA. Really good cover and very few birds. I missed one medium/ long shot. One of those days was with 2" of fresh snow. That area needs several years of good weather and no hailstorm for the birds to recover. And here's a shout out for Happy Jack's BBQ in Holyoke. Great food.
and a big crp sign up... most of the crp in colorado now is corners and birds cant make a living in those in the winter... Particularly when its enrolled in walk in.

Back