Pheasants Forever

I have seriously considered moving my money to other Org. such as Delta after seeing them begging on Facebook for people to join in on their Golf tournament at $700.00 per foursome or $175 per person. That's a slap in the face to the working man.

Sorry, I'm not looking to cater to a Org. that only caters to someone with a certain income level. They are targeting only those with big $$$$ and not in number of members. Our voice is carried in numbers not income level.

This is average cost of a metro area golf tourney. $125 of the $175 is tax deductable to you as a write off for charitable donation. Rest just covers the golf, food, etc.

If not for the non-voluntary fund raising portion of the event it would just be bunch of pheasant shunters getting together and playing golf. They have a good time but their would be no benefit for the birds.

I have seriously considered moving my money to other Org. such as Delta after seeing them begging on Facebook for people to join in on their Golf tournament at $700.00 per foursome or $175 per person. That's a slap in the face to the working man.

Sorry, I'm not looking to cater to a Org. that only caters to someone with a certain income level. They are targeting only those with big $$$$ and not in number of members. Our voice is carried in numbers not income level.

Onpoint, the big money/donations are made from people with the "big" money. It may be unfortunate but that's the way it is. My church is the same way. If they need to raise $ for someone's medical bills or to save one's house from foreclosure the church calls on the people with "big" money. The working man is not going to give what is needed becuase there's only so many of us within an orginaizaiton. Yes numbers are good, but we only have so many (working man) people to support our causes that can put up money needed. I feel we should be thankful that those "big" money guys are around to help us out. Their $ is as good as ours.

Everyone can contribute to helping improve pheasant populations in some way. Those with the financial resources can contribute with their dollars and/or with their time. Those without financial resources can contribute with their time. One way to do that is to join and become active in a Pheasants Forever Chapter.

Those that don't have the time or the money probably don't have the time to hunt anyway so there isn't any need to worry about them. There will always be those individuals who won't contribute in any way and then expect to hunt the best places for free come hunting season. I've had a few of those hunt with me but usually it's only one time.

To be fair, the ones that don't contribute should hunt the land where the owner doesn't do anything for habitat. There is plently of land like that in SD where access should not be a problem at all. I would guess that over 70% of the land in SD gets hunted two days or less because of a lack of habitat.

My guess is as follows for pheasant hunting:

70% of SD land has very little habitat and is not worth hunting most of the time.

5% of SD land has a good population of pheasants despite the owner not doing much or anyting for habitat.

10% of land is public land available for hunting

4% of land is hunting preserves or fee hunting and is managed for high pheasant populations.

7% of land is managed for pheasants by the owner and has good pheasant populations.

4% of land is highly managed for pheasants by the owner and has very high populations of pheasants.

These percentages are guesses only based upon my own experience and knowledge. But I don't think that the numbers would be too far off from actual. Of course, everyone wants to hunt the land that has the most pheasants, even the hunters who do little or nothing to help provide habitat or help the landower doing the work.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to share this email or not. I'm sure Illinois PF doen't mind, being that the whole point of the email is to get the "word" out on CRP contracts. I figured I put this out there to show some what your PF chapters are involed with.

Note; I deleted the name and contact info of the sender. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if it's up, but I just want to play it safe. If anyone from Il. is interested in this log onto the Il. PF website and look the PF bio. up.

To: IL PF and QF Chapters
RE: General CRP Signup â?? Landowner Forums

As the stateâ??s leaders of on the ground conservation, you donâ??t need to hear how important CRP is for wildlife. However, Illinois landowners need to hear not only how important CRP is to wildlife, clean water and healthy soil; they also need to know:

· This signup will be highly competitive (our last general signup was in 7 years ago, lots of expired contracts want back in, and the acre cap has been reduced).
· There are choices that landowners can make that will increase their EBI score and increase their chances for a successful bid.

We are asking our chapters to help spread the word to local landowners on how they can increase their chances to enroll in our nationâ??s most successful program for soil, water wildlife and good land stewards.

How chapters can help:
· Host a landowner forum â?? work with your local USDA offices to arrange a meeting over cookies and coffee where interested landowners can learn about how to increase their EBI score and improve their chance of being accepted.
· Use local media to spread the word to landowners about the importance of increasing their EBI score and identify the key choices landowners can make to do so.
· Provide the â??Choices to Increase your EBI Scoreâ?� document to local USDA offices and ask that they provide it to landowners interested in the CRP signup

We are posting CRP landowner forums on the state website (www.illinoispf.org)
in the Landowner Help Section â?? if you are hosting a local forum â?? please
If you have any questions â?? please contact any of the Illinois PF or QF staff

This is average cost of a metro area golf tourney. $125 of the $175 is tax deductable to you as a write off for charitable donation. Rest just covers the golf, food, etc.

If not for the non-voluntary fund raising portion of the event it would just be bunch of pheasant shunters getting together and playing golf. They have a good time but their would be no benefit for the birds.

$17.00 with a cart to play 9 holes here. Seems to me there's too many on the food chain and too much is going to things other then the cause.

$17.00 with a cart to play 9 holes here. Seems to me there's too many on the food chain and too much is going to things other then the cause.

What are you implying onpoint?:confused: I guess I'm a bit confussed. Are you saying that the funds raised are not going were they should because they are charge "big" money?

What do you mean by "too many on the food chain and too much is going to things other then the cause?" Where do you suspect the money is going? Just wondering. 1pheas4

Quote Landman
"Those that don't have the time or the money probably don't have the time to hunt anyway so there isn't any need to worry about them."

__________________________________----

Boy, if you only knew how many non hunters contributed and belong to Org. like Ducks Unlimited. If they approached their members with your out look. I dread to think of the decrease in their memberships.

I will just disagree, just because a person doesn't own a large tract of land and plant it full of food plots for a reserved few, I don't see it as a great deed to anybody but those few selected to hunt it.

You ever hear of the Pittman-Robertson Act

http://www.nraila.net/issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=103

All hunters contribute to this and earn the right to enjoy the pursuit of game. Taking a couple hundred acres putting 5 wire fence up all around it, posting it, planting shelter belts and food plots. Is nothing more then a private hunting preserve. You have done little for pheasants as a whole. Really it's done for ones self, not for the good of the sport as a whole. You have even admitted that you don't like the ditch hunting in South Dakota, because those birds near your property in some way belong to you and you don't want them shot by others. In some way, they haven't paid their dues to have a chance at those birds.

I don't know what your idea of those who haven't pulled their weight is, with your comments below

"There will always be those individuals who won't contribute in any way and then expect to hunt the best places for free come hunting season. I've had a few of those hunt with me but usually it's only one time."

What are you implying onpoint?:confused: I guess I'm a bit confussed. Are you saying that the funds raised are not going were they should because they are charge "big" money?

What do you mean by "too many on the food chain and too much is going to things other then the cause?" Where do you suspect the money is going? Just wondering. 1pheas4

Most the time things are pretty extravagant, like the meal being some high priced cut of meat along with something like Alaskan King Crab, open bar, big money prizes, Exc. IMO, too much goes to the fringe benefits. How about a 100, 200, 300 or more golfers and their family at $50.00 a couple and maybe a pot luck BBQ with the whole family. I'm sure there's some golf course owner who is a die hard Pheasant hunter who would love the free publicity spread across the pages of PF magazine and WCCO, KSTP, Fox 9, KARE 11, ETc news. Hunters support those who help them. Many would go golf there just because they knew this place catered to the hunter.

You know why so many people go to game fair in Anoka MN? Because near everybody can afford to attend it. How much did your golf tournament make and how much will Game Fair make?

Why don't you do more things like Pheasant fest? Hunting is a family sport, help promote it as such. I would like you to ask your members just how many could afford to attend your golf tournament. In the struggling times that many are going through and this is what you come up with? I seen our first lady get hammered for her trip to Spain because it was ill timed with so many having to cut back. IMO, so was your golf tournament.

Onpoint

here's some more food for thought......how about the guy that charges $150 per day to let you on to hunt? he farms the ground and usually has CRP or sloughs and how much do these guys do for PF or others? i doubt very many are PF members and they are making money off what nature and their ground will sustain, but really, what are they giving to the sport and longevity of pheasant hunting? it would seem they are farming birds for the money...not saying it is wrong or unfair, just an observation of what is common practice in SD.

You know why so many people go to game fair in Anoka MN? Because near everybody can afford to attend it. How much did your golf tournament make and how much will Game Fair make?

Why don't you do more things like Pheasant fest? Hunting is a family sport, help promote it as such. I would like you to ask your members just how many could afford to attend your golf tournament. In the struggling times that many are going through and this is what you come up with? I seen our first lady get hammered for her trip to Spain because it was ill timed with so many having to cut back. IMO, so was your golf tournament. Onpoin

First off Onpoint, it's not MY golf tournament. I'm assuming that this golf outing your talking about is within you county. Therefore it's your PF Chapters' tournament.

What I mean is this; I mentioned earlier in a post that PF is a grass root org. That means if you don't like what your countys' chapter is doing, YOU have the opportunity to influence change. So do something besides complaining and not being involved and get involved. Do something about it!

Game fair, Pheasant fest; great stuff. Love pheasant fest. A lot of people get to enjoy it, and some money is raised. Great! But why can't a org. hold fund raising outlets for "big" money? I just don't understand were your coming from.

If I were you, I'd get involved and put together a golf fund raiser for the "working man" as you put it. Get involved and change what you don't like. Until then, stop complaining about your chapters fund raising outings. 1Pheas4

here's some more food for thought......how about the guy that charges $150 per day to let you on to hunt? he farms the ground and usually has CRP or sloughs and how much do these guys do for PF or others? i doubt very many are PF members and they are making money off what nature and their ground will sustain, but really, what are they giving to the sport and longevity of pheasant hunting? it would seem they are farming birds for the money...not saying it is wrong or unfair, just an observation of what is common practice in SD.

Hunter94, I really don't like paying anyone to hunt pheasants. Am I againt it? No. I do see a huge need for more land access for hunters who don't want to pay. The guy who has CRP and charges guys to hunt and does little to help support PF.....well, that's kinda the same as the guy who shoots pheasants from public or private land were PF has influance and also does nothing to support PF. It really doesn't bother me until those who don't support PF start complaining about PF and what it's doing wrong or not doing when they do nothing about it.

Also, the guy with CRP and charging hunters to hunt birds on his land most likely has land surounding his property. I'm sure birds head next door too. Maybe that land owner isn't charging anyone to hunt on his land or maybe he just hunts it with family or friends. Dosen't sound fair, but then again read my earlier post and all that committee members put into our PF chapters. We committee members get little or nothing in return for our efforts. The pheasants and others on the other hand do. This makes it worth while.

Hunter94, I really don't like paying anyone to hunt pheasants. Am I againt it? No. I do see a huge need for more land access for hunters who don't want to pay. The guy who has CRP and charges guys to hunt and does little to help support PF.....well, that's kinda the same as the guy who shoots pheasants from public or private land were PF has influance and also does nothing to support PF. It really doesn't bother me until those who don't support PF start complaining about PF and what it's doing wrong or not doing when they do nothing about it.

Also, the guy with CRP and charging hunters to hunt birds on his land most likely has land surounding his property. I'm sure birds head next door too. Maybe that land owner isn't charging anyone to hunt on his land or maybe he just hunts it with family or friends. Dosen't sound fair, but then again read my earlier post and all that committee members put into our PF chapters. We committee members get little or nothing in return for our efforts. The pheasants and others on the other hand do. This makes it worth while.

1Pheas, you have a very objective grasp of the situation. Good responses.:10sign:

Hunter94 you got me thinking about the CRP issue a bit with your previous post and it reminded me of a good bill that's in the works. Since 2008 the gov't has been working on the "Open Fields” or otherwise known as the "Voluntary Public Access and Habitat Incentive Program". This bill would essentially give incentives to private land owners to open their lands up for public hunting (nationwide).:thumbsup:

Now, from what I understand the habitat needs to be in place on the private land for this to happen. The organization that has been in Washington DC pushing this incentive, AND is/now ready, and willing to work with local and state agency’s to raise funds AND improve habitat on these private lands is.........................you guessed it, Pheasants Forever.

Are other org. involved with this? Yes. But Pheasant Forever is at the forefront. This ball will be awhile until it's in full swing. Once it is all you, I, and the others have to do is park our cars, take out our guns, dogs and start hunting.

No knocking on the farmers/landowners door. No doing favors for him to keep in good relations with him. Nota! Park and hunt private land with good to great habitat. Just one more thing PF is doing for all of us.

Wisconsin is working on this now. If you want to read more about this program in Wis. below this post is a link to an article that's a basic overview of the bill.

So, Habitat restoration, Improving CRP lands to keep them enrolled, Getting our kids off their asses and into the field through Youth programs, Lobbying in Wash DC, Making it possible for the "Open Fields" incentives to go through, improving our public hunting grounds, donating equipment to local agency’s to use for their habitat projects (private and public lands), not to mention a pretty good magazine to go along with it all.

Now, if any of you out there have read my posts, UGUIDES posts and others in favor of PF and your still against this org. therefore you still won't join or support PF banquets because of this or that, that's fine. I place you in the same category of someone who could have Christ turn water into wine right in front of them and still not believe, and that's okay with me friends. But please stop complaining about PF and what it doen't do to your likeing.

Remember this.......PF has, is, and will continue to work for the benefit of Pheasants and intern, us. If you were one of those on the fence about PF I hope you've changed you mind and will get involved. Even if it's just joining for the magazine or going to a banquet and spending a little money. It's going into good places. Is there corruption? I'm sure there is here and there. It's really hard to do with this org. because the whole chapter would know about it so I know it's minimal if any. --1Pheas4

http://outdoornews.com/wisconsin/news/article_22760b66-9507-11df-b725-001cc4c002e0.html

Last edited:
1pheas4, good reply, any new program that supports hunt-able habitat is obviously welcome. i believe we all can or should do something to support our sport and access to good ground, as many will say, nothing in life worth having is free!

Kansas, some years ago, undertook the most extensive state supported walk in hunting program of any of the states and it is a huge bonus to their state economically. you can barely find a room anywhere on opening weekend and the first 10 days is pretty solid wherever you go

the participating landowners in Kansas, for the most part, seem pretty satisfied with the state run model/program as opposed to many in SD who seem more intent on "farming pheasants" as a cash crop....not to start a fight, but it is different wherever you go. Kansas sells a yearly upland license for $74, compared to Iowa or SD, that is a bargain (4 roosters and 8 quail per day) for anyone and although you have to work at it a bit and get a plat map, if you can locate the landowner, occasionally you can gain permission to hunt private land just for the asking, no fee requested or expected. a ham, turkey or a 12 pack can often get you invited back more than once and it is just plain good manners. sure the hunting can be tough and the first 10 days can be a bit crowded, but after that, you can walk all day long and never want for a place to hunt and that is hard to find anywhere....for free.

Last edited:
i still like most of my money to go to my state wildlife dept but if pheasants & quail forever could just become something like UPLAND FOREVER they would get more of the south members that dont have pheasant. (just a idea)

=

the participating landowners in Kansas, for the most part, seem pretty satisfied with the state run model/program as opposed to many in SD who seem more intent on "farming pheasants" as a cash crop....not to start a fight, but it is different wherever you go. Kansas sells a yearly upland license for $74, compared to Iowa or SD, that is a bargain (4 roosters and 8 quail per day) for anyone and although you have to work at it a bit and get a plat map, if you can locate the landowner, occasionally you can gain permission to hunt private land just for the asking, no fee requested or expected. a ham, turkey or a 12 pack can often get you invited back more than once and it is just plain good manners. sure the hunting can be tough and the first 10 days can be a bit crowded, but after that, you can walk all day long and never want for a place to hunt and that is hard to find anywhere....for free.

That being said, why can't a guy donate to the state's WIHA program and feel as though he's contributed......that is, risen to the level of "real pheasant hunter" by making such a donation. Some folks would rather support KS WIHA, or Delta Waterfowl than some folks' favorite organization. I'm not going to judge either way and I'll throw money in each "kitty" when I have it to spare.

That being said, why can't a guy donate to the state's WIHA program and feel as though he's contributed......that is, risen to the level of "real pheasant hunter" by making such a donation. Some folks would rather support KS WIHA, or Delta Waterfowl than some folks' favorite organization. I'm not going to judge either way and I'll throw money in each "kitty" when I have it to spare.

He can, however, my simple point was that IF a "pheasant hunter" wants to preserve his sport AND enjoy it both now and in the future AND maintain a legacy for the sport he can do all kinds of things related to the sport. Simply put, your $30 for PF membership is the biggest bang for the buck of all. Why? Because the powers of PF that lobby in Washington on behalf of the interests of pheasant hunters and conservation cannot use your headcount as a VOTE for our agenda (more habitat=more pheasants+more).

There's all kind of things that people do that make then FEEL good about their contribution and then there are those things that actually DO good. I'm just saying there is none better than a PF membership. Regardless of the fact on whether or not you like or feel good about the organization or the chapter. I'm not particularly fond of DU and what they do but am I a member? YES! QDMA? YES! Do I hunt quail? NO! Am I a member of Quail Forever? Yes!

Back