pheasants forever post

bchunter

Hello fellow hunters...in just a few short months we will be hitting the field. If anyone needs to feel excited they should read the pheasants forever post on facebook about the upcoming kansas season and bird numbers. I kind of wish i hadn't because now that makes me want november to get here that much quicker.

Last edited:
cross your fingers, eyes, legs, arms, the road; just not your wife :) after a few years of nothing, I'm actually thinking/hoping it could be worth taking the dog out this year :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the worst part of the state drought-wise is right in the middle of NW where I hunt. Fried to a crisp out there.

We still need to continue to pray for rain and continue the rain dance. This is mid summer and hot heat can pop up anytime between now and mid Sept. To get a bumper crop of wild pheasants fully ground by fall, is like walking a tight rope. We still need timely rain showers.

Right now the temp. is 104 in Dodge City, 97 in Wichita and 99 in Canadian, Texas.

The green early spring vegetation brought on by the increased moisture from the growing El Nino enhanced the nutrients in green plant in March and April. Like natural laying mess that help the hen lay a numerous and healthy bunch of eggs. Some young pheasants hatched as early as May 15, they grow fast with all the insects available.

Seven to nine days of this heat will not hurt to young pheasants as long as the night time humidity is above 85% dew is available to drink. We will need a rain within the next week to ten days. Not a big rain but .10 or .30 of in inch every 7 or 8 days will keep all the young bird alive.

The El Nino is still working behind the scene to give the birds a drink of water anytime now. Right now on the west coast of Mexico a tropical storm is sending an abundant amount of monsoon moisture up over Mexico into New Mexico and Colorado. The dry line will eventually carry some of the moisture into west Kansas and into the Texas/Oklahoma panhandles.

With the right moisture and nutrients available those hens that got the early hatches off can provide a second hatch if they can find an undisturbed nesting cover area.

Thanks BrownDog2. Looks like there was some two inch hail in some spots and you know that isn't good for farmers or pheasants.

I hate to throw cold water on any parade, but the idea that we can rise up from the ashes of the recent drought from the quite marginal populations of the past season in just one nesting season is a bit concerning. So far, no scientific survey has been completed that measures this season's nesting and brooding success. Everything in that article was subjective. It is easy to think the flood gates have opened when you see something where recently you've seen nothing. Further, Zac is a good friend, but if you back-date a July 4 weekend 14 week old chick, you come up with a February 19 nest initiation. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but have the days lengthened significantly or the temperatures moderated significantly by February 19? I think it is a good time to sip a toddy and wait for the official numbers to come in before you book your motel rooms in your favorite lair just yet. I realize it's just math, but we do need good math!

I hate to throw cold water on any parade, but the idea that we can rise up from the ashes of the recent drought from the quite marginal populations of the past season in just one nesting season is a bit concerning. So far, no scientific survey has been completed that measures this season's nesting and brooding success. Everything in that article was subjective. It is easy to think the flood gates have opened when you see something where recently you've seen nothing. Further, Zac is a good friend, but if you back-date a July 4 weekend 14 week old chick, you come up with a February 19 nest initiation. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but have the days lengthened significantly or the temperatures moderated significantly by February 19? I think it is a good time to sip a toddy and wait for the official numbers to come in before you book your motel rooms in your favorite lair just yet. I realize it's just math, but we do need good math!

What a buzz kill:D (just having some fun PD:))

On top of what you said, there's a lot that can happen between now and this fall. With that said I would like to add an example; 2002 SD's season was rough--really rough. In 2003 they were back in very good numbers. As you know, if conditions allow, wild pheasants can make heavy gains within one nesting season. I'm not sure if this is such a case or not.:confused: I suppose time will tell. Either way, let's keep our fingers crossed bird numbers will be better than what they've been in previous years.:)

Nick

Now wait a minute, why would anyone be prematurely overstating the rebound in pheasants in KS. ;):D

I am sure that none of the hotels and dining establishments have any interest in publicizing increased pheasant and quail numbers...... :thumbsup:

Please do let me clarify what I said earlier. Zac and I are close friends and I don't want misgivings on what I had said about his pheasant aging. In the article, he stated 12-14 weeks and though the probability of 12 is better than 14, 14 isn't totally impossible. We are dealing with nature and it happens. I certainly wasn't there and accept his judgement.

I'm just hoping for slightly better numbers this year. Not a big pheasant hunter but I do chase them a few times a year. There is no way we will have a full recovery in one good nesting year. I would like to see some of my spots close to home to have some birds again.

I think its going to be substantially better this year in my areas, and I was pleasantly surprised last year. Nevertheless, I doubt it will be as good as it was before the drought set in. For the last two years I've said "better, but not good". This year I'm predicting "better, and getting close to average".

I've worked with Zac too and he seems to know his stuff. He's taught me a lot. I look at things differently now than before.

Back