Pheasant tips and my plan for the weekend.

Bob Peters

My first spot I plan to hunt is right by an 8 lane highway. It's loaded with birds, and I hope to get some good footage on the gopro. That way all the keyboard cowboys can spout off about shooting too close to a road. If I haven't got my limit by then, I'll drive around looking to shoot birds out the window, maybe even a robot pheasant controlled by a C.O. hidden in the weeds. If I still haven't had any luck I'll drop some Benjamin's for a real life hunting experience at an exclusive, all inclusive, hunting resort and shooting grounds. These places are always loaded with birds. Its gotta be the great habitat. Perfectly manicured sorghum and corn with mowed paths between them. I think the birds come for the paths and easy walking. If for some reason the dogs have an off day, I've got a solution for that too. We're heading right to a busy gun range where we'll work on commands right behind the shooting line. This should really get the dogs in good shape to love hunting. I'll cap it all off with a Schlitz on the tailgate. Unless of course I'm at that orvis endorsed pheasant far...I mean hunting lodge. Then it'll be an 18 year old scotch on the rocks that tastes about like an even mix of clay, vinegar, and urine.

Bob,
This sounds like a bucket list hunt trip for sure! Are you up for some company? I would tag along if you will allow. (Might be easier to hunt out of the window if we take turns driving for each other.)
This will be my first year pheasant hunting, and I have a brand new, fully engraved, Caesar Guerini shotgun being delivered tomorrow that has been on order for 6 months. I can't wait to shoot my first rooster with it.
I am from Florida and do not have a hunter safety card so I am finishing my online hunter safety through the Texas Fish and Game Department tonight.
Just let me know what I can bring to contribute if you'll allow me to join you!

My first spot I plan to hunt is right by an 8 lane highway. It's loaded with birds, and I hope to get some good footage on the gopro. That way all the keyboard cowboys can spout off about shooting too close to a road. If I haven't got my limit by then, I'll drive around looking to shoot birds out the window, maybe even a robot pheasant controlled by a C.O. hidden in the weeds. If I still haven't had any luck I'll drop some Benjamin's for a real life hunting experience at an exclusive, all inclusive, hunting resort and shooting grounds. These places are always loaded with birds. Its gotta be the great habitat. Perfectly manicured sorghum and corn with mowed paths between them. I think the birds come for the paths and easy walking. If for some reason the dogs have an off day, I've got a solution for that too. We're heading right to a busy gun range where we'll work on commands right behind the shooting line. This should really get the dogs in good shape to love hunting. I'll cap it all off with a Schlitz on the tailgate. Unless of course I'm at that orvis endorsed pheasant far...I mean hunting lodge. Then it'll be an 18 year old scotch on the rocks that tastes about like an even mix of clay, vinegar, and urine.
You can feel good about getting greased for a grand every day...

You can feel good about getting greased for a grand every day...
A grand are you kidding me? I'm not hanging out with the low-brow knuckle draggers, hayseeds, and bumpkins. I'm having a mule drawn wagon bring me to the wild bird hunting grounds, a dog handler to work the dogs, kitchen staff to clean and prepare my fast flying birds, a butler to polish my boots at night and clean my fancy double gun made by Fernby and Windsor in the year 18 ought 99. It has hammers inlaid with gold and scroll work done by John Smitherby by candlelight at 221B baker Street. A grand is chump change at a joint like this. Get with the times goose.

Bob,
This sounds like a bucket list hunt trip for sure! Are you up for some company? I would tag along if you will allow. (Might be easier to hunt out of the window if we take turns driving for each other.)
This will be my first year pheasant hunting, and I have a brand new, fully engraved, Caesar Guerini shotgun being delivered tomorrow that has been on order for 6 months. I can't wait to shoot my first rooster with it.
I am from Florida and do not have a hunter safety card so I am finishing my online hunter safety through the Texas Fish and Game Department tonight.
Caesar Guerini? Is that your waterfowl, don’t give two-sh!ts if it gets wet gun? If it’s not made in London it’s not worth shooting! LoL

Caesar Guerini? Is that your waterfowl, don’t give two-sh!ts if it gets wet gun? If it’s not made in London it’s not worth shooting! LoL
Oh man, do I feel silly. I wish I would have met someone like you sooner. This would have saved me $10,000.
I will look around for a better gun when I go to Europe for the summer. Maybe we can meet up next year when I get a better gun. Postponing my first trip will allow time for more charging stations to be installed along the fields for my Rivian pickup anyway. I hope was the correct hunting vehicle for road hunting?
Another question, what kind of leather gloves do you wear when you are holding your gun in the field?

Bob,
Sounds like you need to bring some Schlitz and some Benjamins. I'd love to go to, but I don't have either one.

Oh man, do I feel silly. I wish I would have met someone like you sooner. This would have saved me $10,000.
I will look around for a better gun when I go to Europe for the summer. Maybe we can meet up next year when I get a better gun. Postponing my first trip will allow time for more charging stations to be installed along the fields for my Rivian pickup anyway. I hope was the correct hunting vehicle for road hunting?
Another question, what kind of leather gloves do you wear when you are holding your gun in the field?
As for gloves... I have always been partial to the Purdey Cashmere lined deerskin sporting gloves.

I just hunt the road ditches bordering the game farms. Once they get outside of the property line they're wild birds. Win/Win
I hunted a piece of public land once that bordered a neighboring game farm too. That was pretty easy pickings. Couldn't shoot any hens though.

What gauge of shotgun, paired with the appropriate choke and shotshell would I need for this outing!!??!!
Ice cold Schlitz.....actually have a pizza joint/bar in town here that still serves that off the tap!

What gauge of shotgun, paired with the appropriate choke and shotshell would I need for this outing!!??!!
Ice cold Schlitz.....actually have a pizza joint/bar in town here that still serves that off the tap!
16ga with 29" barrels, SxS of course, and shooting 2 1/2" paper hulls with 1oz of #6. Light mod in the (R) barrel and Full in the (L) barrel.

A grand are you kidding me? I'm not hanging out with the low-brow knuckle draggers, hayseeds, and bumpkins. I'm having a mule drawn wagon bring me to the wild bird hunting grounds, a dog handler to work the dogs, kitchen staff to clean and prepare my fast flying birds, a butler to polish my boots at night and clean my fancy double gun made by Fernby and Windsor in the year 18 ought 99. It has hammers inlaid with gold and scroll work done by John Smitherby by candlelight at 221B baker Street. A grand is chump change at a joint like this. Get with the times goose.
Some of these guys whi frequent south Dakota are like that...lol

Knuckle draggers= snow boarders.lol

Bob, you left your scotch next to the hot tub when you were bathing your dogs. Using the room hair dryers to dry the dogs. Leave the birds in the hot tub for five minutes before plucking. I am sure glad I know you to get the family discount at this lodge.
Keep shooting as I put 50 birds on my credit cards. See you later at the Comedy Club. Damn, I love you Cuz.

Dang now I know what I am doing wrong. Here I sit combing burrs out of my dogs after I cleaned my own birds. Then I have to dry my own boots out because I broke through the ice on a cat tail slough along with wet pants because I was busting snow all day. But I do have a 6 of craft beer to go with my convience store pizza tonight.

Back