Pheasant season has been good

quail hound

Good bird numbers by recent standards. My brother and I and our dogs have been moving 10-15 birds every time out.

View attachment 9599

Being a midwest guy and knowing absolutely nothing about California nor pheasants in CA. Are these wild birds? On public or private land?

Being a midwest guy and knowing absolutely nothing about California nor pheasants in CA. Are these wild birds? On public or private land?

Public land wild birds. Theres not a lot of them out there but there's enough to keep it interesting.

State Wildlife refuges. Unfortunately wild birds on private farm land are almost extinct now. When I was a kid, there were wild pheasants everywhere. They were like weeds in some places. The wildlife refuges have the habitat for them. That refuge pictured in this thread is near my house. The most birds I've seen late season in years. The first part of the season was tough. The state has been flooding this refuge later in the season the last few years. The first couple weeks of the season, the refuge was bone dry from very limited flooding and lack of rain. Very difficult to get birds pinned down and take flight. They were running a mile ahead in the big fields.

Back