Pheasant Scent

JonS

Is one better than another? Thinking about putting some on a wing to try the wing on a string. Wing is from 4 months ago. Is this something I will use a bunch or just to get her started with wings. I see on amazon some from $9 to $24 or so. Cabelas has some for $10.
What should I get to put on a wing or two to play with for a 8.5 week old pup?
Thanks to those in the know

Save your $9 to $24 or so. Dogs don't need scent applied to anything in order to smell it, especially a wing. And you don't need to teach a 1/2 way well bred hunting dog what a bird smells like. They just know. Just play with the puppy & have fun for now. The guys that really train to high levels & do it right (meaning s...l...o...w) don't start anything near formal training until at least 4-6 months old. Granted, the pup starts to learn some fundamental stuff up to that point, but basically it's all play & having fun.

A5 is 100% right on—absolutely no reason for that store bought cr@#$—just a gimmick—it’s like people who swear buy putting scent on a dummy/bumper claiming it is good for the for training—
‘Guess they could be right—IF YOUR TRAING YOUR DOG TO PICK PLASTIC/RUBBER/CANVAS THAT HAVE SOME CR5%y scent on them😈😳
Actually your play/teaching your pup to associate with feathers —bird scent—pigeons wing would be just as helpful-even better if you can get fresh—
‘But as A5 said it’s all play and fun and games now!
I just yesterday received a video from the breeder who has my 5 week old pup in northern Mn.
‘She was holding a frozen duck Up my little girl came right up sniffed it and then lunged up and grab the wing—INSTINCT😀

Back