Pheasant mount

Madison COunty

Today I shot a pheasant on the family farm that is part white and I'm going to have it mounted. It is a beautiful bird. I probably will not see another one line it in my lifetime. I shot a black one a couple weeks ago:eek: What is going on with these birds?

Anyways I was wonder what is a good way to have it mounted? I would like it wings out some but don't just want it mounted where it looks like it is flat against the call.

Does anyone have any pictures of any you have mounted?

Also can anyone post the picture of the bird for me? I'm having trouble with it.

Last edited:
Post your photo in your profile/account section then "upload image". After it's uploaded copy and paste the photos IMG link below the photo. Let me know if you need more assistance with it.;)

I have some photos you can look on my "upland" page on my website Pheasantfreaks.com.

Unfortunately GoDaddy can't seem to figure out why my SSL certificate isn't being recognized so it's a pain to get into the site right now:eek: so use the link above. If you have an I-phone you can get in without the SSL error showing up.

Anyway, I posted this photo on the site a while back. A mount like this is pulled away from the wall a bit/on driftwood.

Are you still with us Madison? Did you find a position or something like what your are thinking about?

Let me know if you want me to upload the photo for you.:cheers:

Mount

That is a very nice pheasant you did! I have found a couple mounts I sort of like. I like some that are not mounted on a wall (more like a pedestal or display mount with some grass or habitat) but I'm not sure where I would put it or how practical it is. Send me your email so I can send you some pictures, I can't figure out how to upload mine.

Last edited:
Habitat bases are nice but like you said, finding room/space for them can be tough. Especially the larger bases.

There are wall "habitat bases" too (as you probably saw on my upland page). Birds can be in a standing or flying possession with such bases. Plus they are fairly small.

Okay, here are your photos Pat:) Very cool looking bird you have there! I'm assuming he's wild yes?

Yeah, if he were mine, I'd mount just like your thinking. That way you can have his tail fanned out plus the white in his wings will be shown nicely.

Driftwood to pull him away from the wall a bit. Chest facing the wall, both the wings and tail spread out like he's flushing.:thumbsup: I think that's the way to go.

A darker odd colored pheasant from Madison County.

Thank you for posting the pictures for me. This is a wild bird, there are no game farms even remotely close. I captured him on my go pro about one month ago and I can't believe I finally shot him. When he flushed a month ago I thought he was a hawk and didn't shoot.

Albino

Looks a lot like this one we got last year in SD.

We mounted him too....on a plate next to some potatoes! :)

PA290887_zpsj9x27its.jpg

Nice mount high voltage. Is that a wall or pedestal/table mount? I see you live in Grand Rapids, that's a beautiful area. I fish Winnie every fall.

It hangs on the wall. Bottom is a birch log with holes drilled in for some brush,and the top is oak board with the bark on the sides with surface finished.

I use to fish Winnie more years ago,but haven't made it their much sense we got a cabin on a lake with a few walleye in it.

Those birds with white sure are cool but they have luecism not albinism. :cheers:

Yes they are not all white. I like the fact that it still has some color on it like a normal one. I'm mounting mine because I shot it on my grandpas farm and he died a month ago. I was telling him about seeing this when I first saw it. I never thought I would actually see it again and shoot it.:thumbsup:

You got it. Taxidermy isn't always about mounting a trophy. Often it's about preserving a memory or something meaningful to us. With this bird you'll get all the above; A trophy, memories, a connection to your grandpa and his farm, and maybe your mount will bring out a little thanks-giving unto the good Lord for creating such beautiful creatures;).

Feel free to send me a pic when he's finished and I'll post it for you:).

Nick

Yes they are not all white. I like the fact that it still has some color on it like a normal one. I'm mounting mine because I shot it on my grandpas farm and he died a month ago. I was telling him about seeing this when I first saw it. I never thought I would actually see it again and shoot it.:thumbsup:

That's awesome, congrats on a cool bird and a great memory.:cheers:

Thanks for all the kind words. It is a awesome looking bird and I'm sure the mount will look great. I talked to my neighbor today (the taxidermest) and he said once I get it to him it will be 3-6 months until I get it back. I will post pictures when it's done.:thumbsup:

Preserving the memories for sure. Here is my first ever wild pheasant and the first wild bird my pup pointed/I got over him. I raised and trained him myself...or maybe he trained me...either way, I think it turned out good. Additinoally, the barn wood is out of my grandpas barn i played in when i was growing up. He helped me tear it out / drag it out of the old barn. He's 87 now...will only be more special down the road.

88gmx94BARfczYPX7

Last edited:
Back