Pheasant Jerky

MinnHunter

Making my first test batch of jerky right now. Cant wait to try it. I'm using my favorite beef brine recipe and went 4 hours. Running the smoker at about 160.
If its good I will move forward with a full sized batch. Who else has made and enjoyed it?

PS-Dont ask me why I put it in the G&A forum. :confused:

Last edited:
Live and learn. It didnt turn out well. Over brined. Edible but salty.
If anybody has a really good recipe please let me know. Thanks.

I brined pheasant once and put in my smoker. It was too salty too. Maybe it shouldn't be brined??? I just cover with bacon in the smoker now

Just a matter of opinion and the only opinion that matters is the owner of the meat.

You got that right. Sorry about the learning curve. Try this:

Cut as thin as you can(a fillet knife works great) and marinate in Yoshidas Teriyaki sauce for 2 to 4 hours. (Harder to find but way better than Kikomans). Add corse pepper to taste. A drop of honey or maple syrup if you like. We use a food dehydrator but an oven at 140 to 160 will do. Flip it over frequently removing the finished pieces.

This also works great for chukar. We tournament hunt and sometimes come home with 2 dozen chukar. Training Tip- If you have chukar jerkey in your pocket your dogs will do anything for you.

Enjoy-

Nothing is wasted if your eating it LOL. I would love that great recipe as well. A friend in our club makes a mean jurky/ jerky? :). I will have to ask him. I want to try it too. Great bird yes, but many many ways to enjoy them:thumbsup: And this is one of them. As soon as I have it down, I will be cleaning all the training birds:thumbsup:.

You got that right. Sorry about the learning curve. Try this:

Cut as thin as you can(a fillet knife works great) and marinate in Yoshidas Teriyaki sauce for 2 to 4 hours. (Harder to find but way better than Kikomans). Add corse pepper to taste. A drop of honey or maple syrup if you like. We use a food dehydrator but an oven at 140 to 160 will do. Flip it over frequently removing the finished pieces.

This also works great for chukar. We tournament hunt and sometimes come home with 2 dozen chukar. Training Tip- If you have chukar jerkey in your pocket your dogs will do anything for you.

Enjoy-

This sounds good. I plan to try it. Thanks.

Good Luck.

There are no hard and fast rules. My wife says 4 hours is too long to marinade as it 'cooks' it but I like a lot of flavor. Just experiment a bit. I just remembered a BBQ sauce you can add if you can find it: Rufus Teague's Maple Whiskey. Mmmm. :D

OK- I just put a batch in the dehydrator.

Tip: Sharpen your fillet knife. Don't cut the breasts but 'slab' them from the bottom up to the fat end. You get bigger (not fatter) pieces and they are easier to deal with. You might get 3 pieces to a breast.

I used 1 1/2 cups Yoshida's Teriyaki, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of course black pepper. I lightly sprinkled 2 racks with more pepper when laid out. I expect 2 to 3 hours to dry. This was from the breasts of 5 birds.

OK-
Tip: Sharpen your fillet knife.
Here's another one. Partially freeze them so they aren't so loose when cutting them. Just frozen but not near rock hard. You can cut it any way and any thickness you want.
C, You're making that beer sound better and better.:cheers:
I'm going to try and make Buffalo Wings using pressure cooked pheasant drum sticks that I'll then sauce and put on the BBQ. Film at 11.

Here's another one. Partially freeze them so they aren't so loose when cutting them. Just frozen but not near rock hard. You can cut it any way and any thickness you want.
C, You're making that beer sound better and better.:cheers:
I'm going to try and make Buffalo Wings using pressure cooked pheasant drum sticks that I'll then sauce and put on the BBQ. Film at 11.

Absolutely right about being firm. It came out great. Only did 2+ hours in the marinade, about 2 in the dehydrator.

Back