Pheasant guns - a tool or something else?

I'd really like to shoot this, but jeez, look at the wood!

Shoot it. Try to be careful, but whatever night happen, wood can always be refinished. Makes a good winter project, and with time and care, you can do as well, maybe better than the factory.

I like pretty guns, and take care of them, but a gun I'm afraid to shoot is like a car that's too nice to drive, or a bottle of liquor that's too good to drink.

I refinished this one about ten years ago, and it'll need refinishing again in another ten.

Last edited:
I an fortunate enough to have several guns, some very expensive some not so expensive. I don't have a gun that I wouldn't or haven't hunted with but I do try to take very good care of them.
But, every gun I have, regardless of the price gets taken care of. I have a friend that has a 870 special field that he put in the case wet and let it rust. :eek::eek: To me, that is unacceptable!! If I get a scratch on my Merkel 1620 or the Grulla 216 I will probably say a cuss word but won't lose any sleep over that.
However, that being said, my dogs are NOT tools. They are valued family members that I treat as well as I possibly can!! I do lose sleep if they get hurt or sick and worry about their health and well being constantly!

Back