Peroxide to induce vomiting?

Gatzby

Hi everyone

This is probably common knowledge but....
How much Hydrogen Peroxide do you use to induce vomitting? How do you administer it? Seems like this would be a good thing for me to know.

Thanks

I used it last year and I think that I gave him about a cup. It did not work until he ran away and then it bubbled up and he vomited.

I have heard that salt does the same thing.

So what happens if you give them to much? I would think it would be hard to give them too much because they will vomit up, but I don't know. My vet said give them peroxide until they vomit.

Here is an article on the subject from a dog health site. These are not my words.

You just saw your dog swallow something that could make her sick.

Do you induce vomiting right away?
No.
The first action you should take is to call your vet or emergency vet clinic for advice.
Why?

Vomiting will not help in some situations. In others, vomiting could harm her even more. What follows is a list of times when you should not induce vomiting in your dog.
  • She has already started vomiting.
  • She has lost consciousness, she has trouble breathing, or she has become too weak to stand.
  • She has swallowed bleach, drain cleaner or a petroleum distillate product. These products will burn the esophagus and mouth parts again on the way up. (See Household Poisons to learn how to protect her from these caustic substances.)
  • She swallowed the material more than two hours ago. Don't induce vomiting in this case because the substance has likely passed into the small intestine, at which point your dog can't vomit it back up.
It's okay to induce vomiting in these two situations:
1) your vet has advised you to do it during your phone call;
2) your dog has ingested antifreeze (ethylene glycol) no more than two hours ago.
How To Induce Vomiting

Now that we know the When, let's work on the How of inducing vomiting in dogs who have swallowed something dangerous.
You want to make it as easy as possible for your dog to vomit. Some food in her stomach will make it easier for her. Feed her a slice of bread or a few crackers. Or try a tablespoon or two of dog food if you don't feed her "human" food.
Follow these steps.

1. Into a small bowl, glass or mug, pour some three percent hydrogen peroxide from the bottle in your first aid kit (see Dog First Aid Supplies for more information on creating a dog first aid kit) or from the bathroom.
  2. Using the 10 cc syringe from the kit, draw up about 3 cc's for every 20 pounds (approximately 9 kg) of your dog's weight.
  3. Open her mouth slightly and insert the end of the syringe. Squirt a steady stream of the hydrogen peroxide toward the back of her mouth, which will force her to swallow it.
  4. Wait ten minutes. If she hasn't yet started to vomit, repeat steps 2 and 3.
  5. Call your vet immediately if she doesn't vomit after the second dose.
You can also do this by using syrup of ipecac instead of hydrogen peroxide.
Follow the directions closely. Do not give more than is recommended for your dog, and do not give it twice.
Your dog may start vomiting and not be able to stop after you give her ipecac syrup, so be prepared to take her to the clinic for follow-up care.
There are times when you should do this and times when you shouldn't.
Become familiar with the reasons for each, and you'll be helping your dog get better, faster.

Read about the signs of vomiting so you can describe your dog's symptoms accurately to your veterinarian.
Learn more about causes of vomiting that can debilitate your dog.
If she's already vomiting, you'll need to provide effective steps to help her.

Last edited:
Interesting. Whats even more interesting is that I found the site this came from and found 3 others and every one had a different solution. It is important to note that not every poison should be hacked back up.

:DYea thats why I aproached this the way I did, I have seen it work, but the best advice i would give is to call the vet. I just would not want to be responsible for wrong medical advice to someone If it can be serrious. Several other things cut and dry well those are other matters which we all can help each other out on. My luck someone would blow up their dog.:D

Back