Pen-Reared Pseudo Roosters

South Dakota is the only state that releases pheasants. They all come from that one guy's buddy who drives truck from Wisconsin, who meets up with the SDGFP Special Weapons and Training unit to release pheasants on each and every piece of public and private land in the state in the middle of the night to ensure that no wild pheasants are shot and that guys from Illinois that have never hunted pheasants in South Dakota can comment on Facebook that South Dakota is all pen raised birds.

South Dakota is the only state that releases pheasants. They all come from that one guy's buddy who drives truck from Wisconsin, who meets up with the SDGFP Special Weapons and Training unit to release pheasants on each and every piece of public and private land in the state in the middle of the night to ensure that no wild pheasants are shot and that guys from Illinois that have never hunted pheasants in South Dakota can comment on Facebook that South Dakota is all pen raised birds.
Just as I suspected. Thanks for your input, honest & objective as ever. I suppose SD has to be that way, since all the pheasants died over winter. 🥴

Unfortunately, pen-raised birds are all we have here in NJ. Very few make it through the season, thanks to hunting pressure on WMA's and an abundance of coyotes.
On a positive note, they taste just fine.

You guys sound like the old fart that runs a decent game farm north of me an hour or so. He comments every time how dumb I am for driving 8hrs to sd when I could just come to him. Swears he had to start raising his own because sd buys them all and puts them on state land to fool dumbasses like me. But when I ask him if he’s ever been there he gets real belligerent and tells me he’s not that dumb. I’m sure his brother sister/mother told him. But he’s funny and the birds are decent and cheap. Guess I’ll be a dumbass again this fall. 😀

Very easy to tell a pen raised bird from wild. Pen birds have a large almost circular nostril holes where the plastic blinder goes so the birds won’t kill each other in the late summer.

Has anyone ever heard discussion about how many disgusting, inferior pen-reared pheasants are shot each year in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, New Hampshire, or Florida? Or is South Dakota pretty much the only state anyone cares about?
One thing in MN, you go to the game farm or pheasant farm. Some states stock WMA's, that should be public knowledge. When you see a guy drive out in a 4-wheeler and toss birds from a crate into some bluestem or foodplot with mowed paths, you know what it is. In SD it's a "hunting preserve". So basically it's a much more elaborate fake. Larger pieces of grassland with mixed foodplots that look immaculate. Wild birds that are supplemented by the on-site hatchery. This doesn't bother me at all, when people realize the truth of it. I have an acquaintance from Georgia. He sent me a private video a few years ago of him and a large group of buddies hunting in SD. They were walking a good sized milo plot, with bird after bird getting up at their feet, every guy in the group yelling their lungs out to identify the sex of the bird. I told him, "looks like a game farm." His reply, "no, it was land our guide put us on." 😏

P.S. I do love SD and the hunting it offers the general public. I just wanted to point out the tourist hunting industry is strong there.

I have no issue with the game farm folks releasing birds. It’s a business and that is what needs done for them to run their business. I have participated in some of those due to some companies we do business with taking me out there. I knew full well going in exactly what it was and enjoyed those trips for the conversations and the shooting not the hunting per se. Those operations also bring a lot of money in to the state in many different ways so IMO that is a good thing. I do find it funny some of the stories I’ve heard from the outfitter on birds are released early blah blah blah. Again I don’t hold it against them and if the average game farm customer thinks they are hunting wild birds so be it.

Now in contrast to the hunt me and my buddy go on each fall there is no comparison. Just the two of us hunting birds across a 100x100 mile area on a mix of our own property and on land we have gotten to permission from the land owners. Many of these landowners we have become good friends with and enjoy staying in touch with them throughout the year and catching up in person each fall.

Two completely different scenarios and IMO it is great that as sportsman there are those choices available out there. As a matter of fact one of the land owners we hunt on raises birds as a side business for the game farms. Was a way for him to bring his son back in to the operation so another example of the game farms not being all bad. As a side note we look at the nostrils of every bird we kill and so far have not seen a single pseudo rooster in our take.

I knew it!

Very easy to tell a pen raised bird from wild. Pen birds have a large almost circular nostril holes where the plastic blinder goes so the birds won’t kill each other in the late summer.
Well, since they behave more like domesticated chickens, you really don't have to check their nostrils either. They have no natural instinct to evade hunters or predators.

I will say that they are wonderful for training young dogs though. They're slow, dumb, and they guarantee success.

In all seriousness, I don't care if someone chooses to shoot pen raised pheasants. Here's a list of things I do care about:

1. Domestic pheasants with potential diseases interacting with wild pheasants
2. Pen raised pheasants being present and potentially minimizing my hunt on public land
3. People who assume South Dakota pheasant hunting equates shooting hordes of pen raised pheasants

Why do I care? Because deep in my soul, I know that the phasianus colchicus is a very special creature. South Dakota winters are always deadly cold and often snow covered. But pheasants continue to survive and thrive. They are prey the second the egg hits the ground and that continues throughout their entire life. It's been this way ever since the first birds were released over a century ago. That's 100+ generations of pheasants that, IMO, continue to adapt and evolve and present a very worthy challenge for man and dog. Just because they look the same, there is very little in common between a wild, hatched on the prairie rooster and a pheasant that was hatched in an incubator, had its food and water needs taken care of and then released for someone to kill for their entertainment. Big different.

Can pen raised pheasants ever become wild? No pressured wild pheasants can act like "domestic" pheasants and become very naive.
Interesting opinions and observations.

Can pen raised pheasants ever become wild?
No. For years we thought that planting pen raised birds was the solution to establish and increase a wild population of pheasants. We now know that it does nothing except give people a reason to shoot a fake wild pheasant.

The solution to establishing a self-sustaining, reproducing population of wild pheasants is 1) habitat, and 2) weather. We can't control the weather, but we have some control over the habitat. You might put a distant third variable as predator control.

I don’t think game farms are for hunting. It’s just a place where men go to drink and party and shoot guns. They need to justify being away from home to drink and have fun so they say they’re hunting. Hunted quite a bit in SD and never have shot a pen raised bird

When I was younger I didn’t know game farms were even a thing. I thought they were places for the rich and for the average joe to go to put a young dog on birds before or after the regular season closed

Can pen raised pheasants ever become wild? No pressured wild pheasants can act like "domestic" pheasants and become very naive.
Interesting opinions and observations.
I'm going to have to disagree (some) with the notion that they can't make it in the wild. I have no data to quote from, but my gut feeling is that they are better at it than quail. I read somewhere that 1 of 100 quail can make it. From my experience it's more like 1 of 100000. I've heard stories about released Phez surviving, at least for some years on the prairie type ground north of here. I live near a state put and take area and have seen pheasant months after being released. Curiously though all haves been a rooster. Was the 1st released birds from wild Chinese birds? I don't know about Pheasant, but a wild quail won't live in captivity. Don't ask me how I know. As for preserves, you guys that po po them remind me of myself not that long ago. But funny how time tends to soften one's opinions. Also, I bet if the wild birds were almost gone as they are here, you'd be singing a different tune. I'm from a long line of bird hunters. I loved talking to my second cousin (RIP) who was 25 years older than me, a setter breeder and avid quail hunter, about his grandfather and mine's hunting escapades together and their dogs. I remember talking about the declining quail populations and what the future held for them. Not long afterwards he and his brother opened up a preserve. I never understood why he would do that when there were still wild birds to be had. Now I know! Mother nature and father time takes its toll on all of use. After a few years of being depressed about the poor quail #s and the fact that I was no longer the 15 miles a day stud I once was, I accepted my fate and became one of those guys I used to make fun of. And I bet that's exactly what my old cuz Donnie did!

Was the 1st released birds from wild Chinese birds?
They were. They were captured in the wild and transported to the US. Same thing with the birds originally brought from Oregon to South Dakota. I believe it's been that same story everywhere there is a significant wild population today.

Back