Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches?

dc240nt

Does anyone here feed PB&J to their dogs for an infield hunting energy boost? I've heard of some doing it in replace of the energy bars that we can purchase.
I dont want to start doing it until I get a solid clearance from the hunting dog pro's.
Its obvious that my dog could use a little pick me up now and then. However, I don't want to spend the money on an energy bar thats probably not half as good as they claim it is. Neither do I want to feed something that may do more long range harm then any short term benefits.
I use PB&J for my own energy boost when I hunt so I know they will do just that. But will they be safe for a dog thats hunting hard to eat 1/2 a sandwich now and then during the coarse of a hard days hunt? Any ill side effects?

I make my own energy cookie, But I have heard a lot of guys use PB&J and it works for them....bob

TONY COOKIE RECIPE

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup Peanut Butter
¾ cup Honey
¾ cup Dry Milk
1/3 cup Oil
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup reg. Flour
½ cup Malto-Dextin
2 Eggs
Water

Mix peanut butter, honey, oil, eggs, blend well
Add dry milk oatmeal; 2 flours blend with wet mixture to stiff but smooth dough. If not blending right add a little water. You want stiff dough. Drop dough on cookie sheet as to make a cookie the size of silver dollar. Press very flat with a sugered glass.

Bake 350 until very brown and really hard. The harder the better.

NOTE: The Malt-Dextrin makes the dough very sticky do not handle it if possible. Make the sue the glass has lots of sugar the cookies will stick to it otherwise. Wash Glass as needed.

Pb&j

I know Tucker loves peanutbutter. Never tried the sandwich. Gonna make up peanutbutter and crackers for him. The cookie recipe sounds good enough to eat. Are you sure you share with Tony? lol

Hey Bob...I'm going to try your cookies but have a question: how many cookies do you give your dog and under what circumstance do they get them?
Thanks,
Jim

Good question Jim, I give three in the evening before a hunt. Then as soon as we done hunting for the day I give him three more. To help him get on the recuperating road quicker. If we are going the next day, I will wait and give them to him in the morning. The idea is about 3 or more hours before hunting. They are perfectly edible as has been stated. But I do make them for Tony, and he is the one that eats them he loves them.....Bob

Hey Bob, I will be making a batch for the Pard! Thanks for the info. Even though he gets lots of runs in a year, I like the idea of replenshing him as soon as possible! Thanks again!

I use nature valley peanut butter granola bars

you can buy them at walmart best thing is I like them too.They do give the dogs a boost

Back