PC

smizell

How many of you will be out chasing chickens this weekend? It looks like Saturday morning may actually be a little cool. I am just excited to get the dogs and myself out with a few friends.

Crap dude I just live down the road from you in Shadow Wood, it's at the corner of Lucy Web and School Road. Thats crazy, we probably need to hook up and run some dogs, shoot some birds and have a few beers sometime.

Crap dude I just live down the road from you in Shadow Wood, it's at the corner of Lucy Web and School Road. Thats crazy, we probably need to hook up and run some dogs, shoot some birds and have a few beers sometime.

smizell i run my dogs in the field that sits south of lowes right next to it lol

My dogs like Menards better than lowes or home depot.

I will surely get out a few times next week, to run the dogs and see what's around if nothing else.

I would love to get out and get one, but I have no idea where they are?!?

I have been out several times to the WIHA near Wamego, but all I found were quail, turkeys and hen phez?

I don't expect anyone to tell me their hotspot, but any pointers on where I should start looking?

Rut

Heading to do a little walking with the pup in the smoky hills on Sunday. This will be the first time chasing chickens in this area. I'll report back....

I would love to get out and get one, but I have no idea where they are?!?

I have been out several times to the WIHA near Wamego, but all I found were quail, turkeys and hen phez?

I don't expect anyone to tell me their hotspot, but any pointers on where I should start looking?

Rut

Rut
The grass can't be real tall or thick. You should be able to see you feet.
Stay away from trees, building,.....

Looks something like this

PrairieChicken_20.jpg

Sept2011_273.jpg

And you will be walking a long way. Not a target rich enviornment !

Last edited:
Rutt, I usually find the quail, phez, and turkeys in the draws and thick stuff. PCs are often on the higher ground. Somewhere between halfway up the hill and the top... Rarely down in the bottom of the draws. First thing in the morning, they often like to be on the sunny side of the hill. But that is not foolproof. I have found them on the other side too...:confused:

Don't forget, you'll be walking a lot. My first season hunting them I had a GPS in my pocket. I walked 13 miles before I found any. I understand them a little better now than I did then, but I still expect to cover some serious ground PC hunting.

Good luck to you.

Thanks guys! I was hunting them like I would pheasants, it the tall thick stuff, no wonder I didn't find anything! I usually ended up soaked from the neck down from dew first thing in the morning because I was hunting such tall, thick cover.
I didn't even hunt them last year because of all the failed attempts the year before, maybe we will give it another shot this year.

Thanks!

Rut

The advice here is good. My general rules of thumb are

1) if the grass is over my knees (I'm a shorter fella), then I'm not in prairie chicken habitat
2) if the grass is covering my shins...perfect, and below the shins too little grass

Prairie grouse are like antelope, they like to see you coming that's when they feel safest. Pheasants are like deer, they feel safest in cover. Good general rules...although there are always exceptions to the rules.

Kansas

First time I ever went to Kansas me and buddy were walkin a field SW of
DC and neither of us had ever seen a PC. All of a sudden about 75-110 jump up out of the middle of the field. We thought they were hen pheasant for months. It was incredible. That's the only time I've ever seen them. But last year I only hunted NW KS due drought and never saw one. I'd like to have a greater prairie chicken mounted in full strut.

Pointer I like to run mine over behind Price Chopper. I do have room for your pointers in my trailer, we will have to make a trip sometime.

PC hunters with more experience than me, do you have any success in the evenings with dogs. Are PC's pretty much in grass all day long during this time of year?

We will be giving it a shot out around Lincoln, who knows if we will even see any.

most of the time PC's are easy to identify.....they are the birds flushing out of range.....if you hurry to that spot, you can often catch a sleeper.

I am far from an expert, but I have been able to get several pointed and shot each of the first two season I have hunted them with a pointing dog.

I have not had a lot of luck real early in the morning. Don't know if that is because they are somewhere else feeding, or they are not moving much and the dogs are not scenting them. But about an hour or so after sunrise I have had some luck getting them pointed. (now if you know where they are flying early, you can pass shoot them, but that is not much fun to me any more)

I have had success in the morning and the afternoon, but likely more success in the morning. Think that may be due to the temp being cooler in the morning and the dogs being able to scent better and run harder.

Good luck to you guys. Take some pictures to post.

Lets have some PC hunt reports

I went out on Saturday morning. I did get into a group of 10-12 PC.

I was not really expecting to see any PC in this field, and was looking at the Garmin when what looked like an exceptionally large Meadowlark with a big white breast flew at me from over the hill. Then I got a beep on the Garmin. Then it dawned on me, idiot that was a chicken. So I headed over the hill. Ace was standing about 75 yards down the hill in front of me, but I could not see Indy. Then 3-4 more PC flushed to my right near the top of the hill. I still didn't see Indy, but I released Ace and he headed across the down slope of the hill, and stopped just as he started down into a little draw. I glanced at the Garmin and could see the Indy was standing about 25 yards past Ace, who was about 50 yards in front.

Before I got in range several more PC flushed, several flying right past me. But I didn't shoot. I cleared the top of the rise, to see Indy still pointing, but looking uncertain. I stood there for a minute, and decided to take a picture. Only to have another PC flush 30 yards up the hill from Indy and Ace, as I was putting the camera away.

Because I could not see what Indy was doing I did not shoot at the time. But judging from what I saw when I got over there, I would guess that he was pointing a lot of that time.

So here is the first PC hunting pic for me for the season. No PC were harmed on this day,..... dang-it

This was the pic of Indy on the PC.
Sept2012_4.jpg

Then later in the day we found a small covey of quail.
Sept2012_5.jpg

Went back out again this morning. We found the PC about 200 yards away from where we found them yesterday. We had multiple points but every time I started to get close to the dogs the PC were flushing 30-50 yards out in front of the dogs. Don't know if the birds were running or if the dogs were picking up scent at long range, but I never got a shot. It was like these birds had been hunted a bunch already.

Here are some pics from today:

Sept2012_13.jpg

Sept2012_12.jpg

As I was taking this pic of the Garming screen Indy went on point.
Sept2012_10.jpg

Sept2012_6.jpg

Back