Paying for access - appropriate? how much?

Again - I want to thank everyone for the input. What a great forum! :cheers:

This is a cross-post from the Nebraska forum. We (my wife and I and a friend and his wife) went out for the weekend to the SW part of the state (both wives do not hunt). I ended up NOT knocking on any doors as I was happy with the public access properties (similar to WIA in CO).

Hunted Saturday and Sunday, Saturday for most of the day, and Sunday just in the early morning. Saturday we put up ten birds (6 roosters and 4 hens) with three making it into the bag. Sunday, just my wife and I, put up five birds (4 roosters and 1 hen) with just one making it in the bag. Dogs did great - I need a little work...

Overall a great trip. I'd share a picture or two, but we lost our camera in a field. :( Maybe I'll get a shot or two from my buddy to share in a few days.

Awesome!!! :10sign::thumbsup:

Good that the better half got out with ya, now that's awesome!!

Greg

Sounds like a good trip. I always bring pies for landowners who let me hunt. I figure who doesn't like pie?

I've never been asked to pay trespass fees in our part of the country. That's more common in the Dakotas. My experience is that it's not about the money for most landowners. If the landowners wanted money, they would've already enrolled their land in the WIA program or leased it to a guide service or hunting club. If they say no, it's because they've had too many bad experiences with unethical hunters or they're saving their birds for friends and family.

Another tip I have is don't wear out your welcome if you get some access. Once or twice a year is plenty. Most landowners that let you hunt probably let other people hunt as well. They're not giving you permission to use their property as your personal bird lease for free.

My luck in getting permission has been a little limited when Im with my friend in his truck because we look like coyote hunters due to his dog box/bed but when Im by myself or in my truck Ive had a bit of luck.

Ive started going to a local Coffee importer/spice dealer in Wichita and purchase a bunch of different flavored coffees in 1/2 and 1/4 lb bags and also go spend some money at a local chocolate and nut company. Ive found these go over pretty good. Everyone Ive given them too seemed to like them....heck, the smell from the coffee in the goodie bag smells pretty amazing by itself. My buddy sometimes has hot links, I think they like them but it seems most farmers have plenty of meat.

One guy Ive loaded up on stuff and have been going out there a few years, he wanted me and my friend to come out and shoot some deer. Hes located in an area where I never did ask to deer hunt because MOST people in his part lease out the deer hunting, a lot even lease out the bird hunting so I was always happy I could do that. I was blown away he asked me about shooting some deer. I need to grow that relationship some more. He has mulies and white tails on his property. Only thing I didnt like was I like hiking 10-20 miles on a ranch for mulies --- his property isnt in one chunk. But beggars cant be choosy lol. Didnt get my west zone KS mulie tag so may have to ask him about shooting some white tails this year, ha! Timing just didnt work out last year.

Now Im reminiscing about his property -- one half section, every time you hunt it, if you get good dog work, you will usually see prairie chickens, quail and pheasants on the same parcel, even last year. Pretty amazing. Not a lot of places you can say that about.

I grew up in pheasant country in SD. I go back every year for deer and pheasant hunting around Thanksgiving. While I was driving to my dads, I saw a mess of birds in a field and stopped and asked. I have SD plates so we started talking about how the numbers were and other SD stuff. Now, my yes sir, yes ma'am always seems to kick in, but try to introduce yourself, ask their names...AND USE THEM. Once I used his name, I was no longer a traveling salesman.

If they tell you no, ask who might let you hunt, and thank them for their time. I had a guy change his mind when I thanked him for what he does. Farming is one of the most taxing jobs in the US.

Back