Patterning a Shotgun

First I shot from about twenty feet through a tight choke at a dot to see if the gun was a straight shooter. It was. I then choked as if bird hunting, backed off to about 25 yards and aimed for the dot. As expected, the patterning was about 60% above the dot and 40% below which means you point so as to see the whole bird over the bead.

If I do that, I can then watch the bird coast out of sight. My eyes work differently, not that what you do is wrong. And it may just be old age on my part. I have to bury the bird with my muzzle, any bird.

you can bury the bird with the muzzle all you want- covey rise over a good point- you might get one out of 4 shots- phesants over a good point- you are shooting the tail feathers-
doves pass shooting- you won't hit a feather- ducks pass shooting you won't hit a feather-

explain a quail who can hit 50 mph in a second or two off the ground- you are going to hit covering it-

90% of the so called I can hit by covering the bird group- are poor to bad wingshooters- never ever seen a good wingshooter talk about covering the bird up- everyone I've heard who was worth their salt meant- I cover the head-

care to refute

Last edited:
To be blatantly honest (and quite possibly ignorant, which is an inherent characteristic), I'm 63, hunt "winged-things" A LOT, and own "several" shotguns . . .

I patterned my SBE before I went Turkey hunting (my one & only time & I did harvest a nice Tom. For me, if they ain't flying, the thrill just isn't there . . . no offense impied or intended toward you avid Turkey hunters.). For flying quarry, I pattern shotties on clays and the birds . . . when I hit them consistently, I'm a happy guy. When I don't, I adjust until I do (or get an "old favorite" out of one of the vaults . . . works for me!).

Now rifles, well . . . I spend hours at the reloading bench, at the range, using a chrony, but then again I'm a long-range accuracy freak in the off-season. My two-cents (and likely 1.5-cents less than it's worth.).

koja- I only patern to see if what I'm loading does what I want it to do

I picture that blue 22 and I'd get my fathers 22 rifle- we'd look thru my window for a rabbit- as we sip a cool one or two- I'd ask- how high do we aim- you'd give me the first shot of course- plowed field starts 160 yards out- great fun- rabbits don't even know what's going on

.22s are the Fountain of Youth, Shadow. Old Blue is one of several I've done (next winter's project will be a red one). Fairly easy builds (must be so, cuz I'm an idiot). Just finished modifying a Ruger SR22 . . . 10/22 in a wanna-be AR-type frame (trigger-group, Parkerized bolt & after-market firing pin extractor, bolt handle & spring, and I radiused the bolt edges for optimum performance, installed a buffer-kit <a MUST for ALL 10/22s!>) . . . it's a shooter! With the way I equipped it optics-wise, running rodents ought to be a hoot (well, they may not think so . . . ). I modded a GSG 22 for my Son prior to that . . . upgraded pins & screws, optics, rail, picatiiny fore end, and a trigger job. Installed an H&K butt-stock . . . it's a peach of a gun. Gophers in SE Oregon will rue our arrival in a month or so.

not to hijack the thread - you're right koja- brother and I started shooting dads 22 in 1957- we were in charge of keep rodents in control- dad taught hunter education- he had cases and cases of 22 long rifle shells- it did well for kids, grandkids, even the grownups- I refinished it and gave it back as a Christmas present- it isn't much of a gun- all it has on it is Cal 22 Long Rifle Smokeless Greased Only
so many rounds thru it that unless I clean it with WD40 every 100 or so shots it'll jam every 3 or shots- found that the Remington Bonus Pack 550 22 LR Hollow Points from Walmart is what it really likes-

1ofBritts-others22outthewindow009.jpg

If I do that, I can then watch the bird coast out of sight. My eyes work differently, not that what you do is wrong. And it may just be old age on my part. I have to bury the bird with my muzzle, any bird.

It can't be old age cuz I'm old too! lol. But you're right, it may be due to the way you look down the barrel or simply the way the gun is made. When I did my patterning I was with a gunsmith who is my hunting buddy who told me exactly how my new gun was to pattern -- 60% above the aim point, 40%below -- before we patterned it. So certain guns and models pattern certain ways.

not to hijack the thread - you're right koja- brother and I started shooting dads 22 in 1957- we were in charge of keep rodents in control- dad taught hunter education- he had cases and cases of 22 long rifle shells- it did well for kids, grandkids, even the grownups- I refinished it and gave it back as a Christmas present- it isn't much of a gun- all it has on it is Cal 22 Long Rifle Smokeless Greased Only
so many rounds thru it that unless I clean it with WD40 every 100 or so shots it'll jam every 3 or shots- found that the Remington Bonus Pack 550 22 LR Hollow Points from Walmart is what it really likes-

1ofBritts-others22outthewindow009.jpg

Nice photo. Looks like a great set up for accuracy.

Whoa . . . THAT is nostalgic . . . and NICE! Is that an old Stevens .22?

thanks- this old 22 is actually quite quiet- shut the door- sit and wait-

coyotes are interesting- first they'd come within 150 yards- jump when hit-

just for fun- I sometimes set the Browning A-Bolt Boss .338 Win Mag up-
LOUD- but fun to pull the trigger

Whoa . . . THAT is nostalgic . . . and NICE! Is that an old Stevens .22?

I really don't know- nowhere does it say- you are probably correct though
just has in small letters patent 2094577
others pending on one side of the barel
other side has Cal 22 Long Rifle smokeless greased only

darn thing will still put holes inside a nickle at 90 yards- that's the edge of the grass- used to be a burr field- it's now plowed winter wheat didn't come up

I needed a 22- brother gave me an old beat up rusted cracked stock Winchester Model 74 22 Long Rifle- dad said "here, in case you can't get it working"- like to think he's pleased I'm shooting it

took the model 74 apart- really worked it over- took it to the Olathe Gun Shop- they reblued it- I repaired and refinished the stock- it's shoots pretty good- open sights- don't want to put a scope on it- don't touch it much

My former hunting partner & dearest friend in the world lives in Olathe . . . small world! If I get down there this year, I'll have to look you up. He's been after me to come down & hunt Whitetails on his place for a couple years.

That vintage .22 looks like Stevens . . . I'll have to do some research. Those were made "back in the day" when guns were guns! I have an old Marlin 39A & a Remington target .22 from that era, as well as my Dad's old Stevens SxS 12-gauge. . . . classics all (the Remmie was my first gun).

Last edited:
um- I'm now living quite a ways from there- but when you do- let me know- might have a reason to make a drive- like a nice place to meet and try whiteails with the bow- nothing over here

Dave Parker was the owner of The Olathe Gun Shop- sold a few years ago- he had a freind who made him custom longbow and arrows down in LA I believe- he used to rabbit hunt with his bow- he almost bought a Britt pup from me- we almost went out hunting-

he got me thinking- so I just had to try roosters with a bow and arrow flu flu arrows- what a rush over a pointing dog

you can bury the bird with the muzzle all you want- covey rise over a good point- you might get one out of 4 shots- phesants over a good point- you are shooting the tail feathers-
doves pass shooting- you won't hit a feather- ducks pass shooting you won't hit a feather-

explain a quail who can hit 50 mph in a second or two off the ground- you are going to hit covering it-

90% of the so called I can hit by covering the bird group- are poor to bad wingshooters- never ever seen a good wingshooter talk about covering the bird up- everyone I've heard who was worth their salt meant- I cover the head-

care to refute

NO. I'm not always good at putting things into words. I can't always tell you what I saw when I make a good shot. But most of the time I can tell you what I saw when I make (miss) a bad shot. But don't forget everybody's eyes and brain translating that sight picture work differently.

I usually am only able to hit fast moving birds with snap shots, versus trying to figure something out.

Not looking to tell anyone how to shoot, just what does work / not work for me.

never meant to jump you- I snap shoot everything- if a bird is out there aways and I have to think about lead- I'd porbably miss

that's why for 30 years upland hunting with pointing dogs I use 8 and 7 shot and skeet tubes- I need to get on them quick- thus- anything close to 30 yards I'm going yikes- that's a ways out there:)

Back