Parentage Verification Analysis

mtnlab

I'm looking for some advise or comments from some of you other dog owners out there or to see if anyone else have ever had this happen to them.

I have received a letter from the AKC telling me that a "DNA Certification was conducted on a dog in your dog's pedigree/lineage. The DNA results indicate that this dog could not be the offspring of the parents to which it is registered....Because your dog is a direct descendent of a dog in the litter with incorrect parentage, the registration of your dog and its offspring have been placed on a referral. This means the American Kennel Club services will not be provided if the dogs in this litter are bred, sold, or transferred, and awards will not be recorded if these dogs participate in any American Kennel Club sanctioned or licensed events. We regret the necessity of taking this action."

I have been in contact with the kennel that the pup was purchased (a kennel with a good reputation and well known) from and talked with the owner. He was well aware of the AKC's actions and just kind of blew it off as no big deal. Other dogs/sires DNA has been submitted to the AKC so that a true pedigree can be established. This may take an additional five weeks before the results will be know.

The only reason that I picked this pup, drove fifteen hours to the kennel, paid top dollar was because of the lineage. I'm sure that my dog is a purebred because the stud service that was supplied handles only AKC registered dogs. So far my pup has a CPR title and three passes as a JH. Not to mention the countless hours of training and investments. My plan was to title her a few more times then bred her because of the lineage I was told she had.

At this point I'm not sure of what will be the outcome or what I will end up with. Any input that you have to offer will be well received.

What you are going through is likely to become more commen as DNA testing is becoming much more popular and affordable. How many generations back is the error. If it's back 4 generations the sire or dam can only contribute 6.25% (at most) to your pups make up. The AKC does very little to police breeding (I am not sure how they can do more). Responsible breeding is left to the breeder, and buyer beware. And the old fox in the hen house still happens and not always by accident. IE Coulo kennels and the "silver" lab.
Wait the 5 wks and see what they learn, it sounds like a long shot but you never know. If the testing is indeterminant you can still run HRC. Keep training and loving your pup, she's still the same dog!

PS please give breeding your dog some serious thought. Breeding isn't without risk and is really best left to professionals.
PPS would you mind sharing the dogs name that is indeterminent?

Steve

My dog is DNA. You have to for what they call multiple use sires. Any stud used to sire 6 or more litters. I would not call 10 in a life time multiple but that's me. 0 issues. Most likely it is a screw up. AKC means well, but the system and information is huge. So mistakes happen. Most are resolved, but always take paper work. Had one come back the other day because the new pup owner forgot to fill something in. So now I have to fill this out and send it to the pup buyer who fills it out the back to AKC. If he is who you think he was, he will get it sorted out. But I would make sure he does. Most issues with AKC will be pretty simple. Good luck

The problem comes from two generations back on the dames side. That dame had a dual breeding at the time of her heat cycle. The stud dog in question does not have any of the lineage that I was looking for when I did my research on my new pup.

I would tell him you want your money back or another pup. Me on a mistake like that I would have had the pups dna tested to see who the daddy was right away before they opened their eyes. A simple saliva swab would have done the job. Or just gave the litter away. unfortunately, your kinda stuck unless he sorts out paperwork for you. Sorry man. See if you can get your money back or take him to court. Then at least you could take that doe and get another quality pup elsewhere. He will not be respectable long pulling that stunt. Has AKC told you what may be any options? Did you call them?

The problem comes from two generations back on the dames side. That dame had a dual breeding at the time of her heat cycle. The stud dog in question does not have any of the lineage that I was looking for when I did my research on my new pup.

Was this a stacked AI breeding? Sometimes when a dog is getting older or isn't paticularly potent they will stack a breeding to ensure it takes. This is more commen in the show world. I am not sure how it should documented with the AKC. How many years ago was this breeding? Your breeder may not have been aware, but he certainly should have let you know sooner.

I am sure you are frustrated and bummed out as you should be. But You must have been impressed with the sire and dam to purchase. I know you see something special in your pup as you are considering breeding. If I understand the lineage, the mix up could only contribute 12.5% at most. Embrace what you have! A piece of paper doesn't make the dog!

Steve

I agree, but he did not get what he was paying for. Sounds like he wants to invest time and money training and compete with the dog. So that shoots that to heck with AKC. He said it was a dual breeding. Which AKC describes as multiple sires I believe. That's when an honest breeder fills it in. Sounds as if he tried to guess and get away with a single sire. When the dam must have been bred by 2 males, one certainly accidentally. And the "good" sire he wanted the pup from must have been the DNA or multiple use sire the breeder tried to register with. But the other is the one that got the job done. Someone or him must have sent a DNA test on a pup in to have it pop up. Or the breeder did, and now realizes he is screwed. But he should do right by those he sold the pups to. At least the ones who wish to do AKC events and register the dog.

I will call the AKC tomorrow and see if they can shed some light on this issue. The breeding took place in March of 2005. One thing the kennel owner told me is that he has two dames from the "duel" breeding and when he sits them side by side they do not look anything alike...maybe a light bulb should have come on before he started breeding these two dames and selling the pups.

Well, responsibility comes from just keeping a bitch in season away from any males not intended. That's easy to say however until it happens to ya. But, as said he could have taken steps to confirm things right away and sent in the correct info to AKC. If both sires are the father of some. I don't believe they will do more then what they just told you. I suspect your stuck, and will have to approach him about a new pup or refund. If you want to put a title on the dog.

Last spring I started running her in some tests. So far my pup has a CPR title and three passes at at the JH.

Back