Panhandle Pheasant Hunt fund raisers

TJC3

I'm fairly new to the forum. I've been reading a lot of posts and learning a great deal in the process. Now I need some help with information about hunting pheasants in the Texas Panhandle.

We have a group of guys that get together every two weeks for an informal clay bird game. We are mainly dove hunters and use this game to keep sharp with our shooting skills. Several of us started talking about going pheasant hunting this year. We've talked about Kansas and the Dakotas, but think that maybe we should start out with a Panhandle trip. I've looked around on the web and can find a little information, but nothing that gives us many options.

We've heard that many communities and civic organizations offer pheasant hunting as a fund raiser. We thought that might be the way to start out. So, what towns offer this and how do I get in touch with them to see if there is space for a few hunters from central Texas? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Most likley easier and better hunting in Kansas or the Dakatos, they have a great Walk in Program. In the Lone Star state, you pretty much need to know someone to get permission to hunt, plus it is a very limited amount of area compared to the above mentioned. Not sure where you are based out of, but KS is not very far away, takes me the same time to get to prime ground in KS than it does to get to the panhandle.

I am in Kansas, but the Texas Panhandle is on my to-hunt list for this year. I heard good reports last year of bobwhite and scaled quail, pheasant and geese. I need to check it out this year. My buddy sent me this pic last year----

DSC01240.jpg

We had a great pheasant season last year and from the looks of things, we should be in good shape again this year. It is difficult to find scheduled hunts in the Panhandle. I think there are a few (Olton, Nazereth, Sunray) are some I know of. I hunt between Dalhart and Sunray, and also in the Spearman area. As for quail; good luck. I have 1800 acres of canyon land by Lake Meredith and can go for days without finding birds. I think the lower eastern part of the Panhandle has more quail. If you are in the area, give me a shout.

Most likley easier and better hunting in Kansas or the Dakatos, they have a great Walk in Program. In the Lone Star state, you pretty much need to know someone to get permission to hunt, plus it is a very limited amount of area compared to the above mentioned. Not sure where you are based out of, but KS is not very far away, takes me the same time to get to prime ground in KS than it does to get to the panhandle.

Last two years I have hunted sw of Amarillo and also all over central and NW Kansas, I have had far more luck in the TX panhandle than hunting WIHA in KS. Dont get me wrong there are a ton of birds in KS but there are also a ton of people hunting them and WIHA get POUNDED. Call the chamber of commerce in some of the towns out around Amarillo I am sure they can get you set up.

Back