Pads on labs feet

Labman

I was just wondering what everyone else uses to help their dogs pads during hunting season. After hunting for 3-4 days straight, her pads get pretty beat up, and raw in between them. What are some of the best things to put on there to help them after each day of hunting, or before each days hunt?

I was just wondering what everyone else uses to help their dogs pads during hunting season. After hunting for 3-4 days straight, her pads get pretty beat up, and raw in between them. What are some of the best things to put on there to help them after each day of hunting, or before each days hunt?

I'd go here.

http://www.dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html

The cheap ones work great for typical MN\SD prairie grass & cattail type cover.

Will protect the pads as well as the area in between the toes. My lab always had trouble with the cuticle area around the nail swelling from the abrasiveness of the grass. This issue is covered too.

If put on correctly they will stay on and usually last through 4-5 days of hard hunting. If you rotate the boots from front to back you will get more even wear. Always felt that at $2.50 each they were basically disposable and cheap hunting insurance.

Another tip for multiple day hunting is to use EMT Gel on the hotspots that develop on top of the dogs nose and anywhere else they have thin hair coverage. Stuff is amazingly durable and I usually apply it twice a day.

DB

Thanks for the information!!! I'd like to see the look on my labs face, her being almost 8 years old now, trying to make her wear some booties. We've always gotten along well enough, but after 2-3 days of hunting, that skin between the toes/pads starts to get raw, and that's gotta hurt when going out hunting more. I know she limps around when not hunting, but then it's all go go go when she gets in the field. But I need to help protect her a little more with some of the gel you listed and possible boots....

Back