PA Hunting

hey. We just added a new baby to the family so i can't guarantee a trip this year. if i do go i would stay in the northeast corner of the state considering its closest to me. ill see how the season shapes up, but i would sure love to make it out for a weekend.

Hey PA hunters,
Took a trip with the wife to New England earlier this summer. Drove through PA on 81/78 and passed through areas that I stomped around as a kid. Back in the late 60's and early 70's we always saw birds; my godfather has a small farm just on the outskirts of Fleetwood and we would watch the birds fly into a evergreen shelter belt in the evenings. Sad that they made such a decline but it is encouraging to hear all the success you are having now. Keep it up! Some day I might just have to drive from NC up there to chase wild pheasant.
Cheers,
Wolf

Wolf,

I was lucky enough to have hunted in those days in South East Pa., and you're right it was awesome. We hunted not far from where you mentioned "Fleetwood". We hunted around Kutztown and Kempton and it was not uncommon to see dozens of birds flying across RT78 on the way there and then again on the way home. You never knew if the flush was going to be pheasant or a covey of quail.
That area has changed a great deal, but there are other areas that resemble the South East of yesterday and show some good promise, plus the State is keeping the tradition alive with it's release program.
Thanks for the kind words!

hey. We just added a new baby to the family so i can't guarantee a trip this year. if i do go i would stay in the northeast corner of the state considering its closest to me. ill see how the season shapes up, but i would sure love to make it out for a weekend.

Congratulations! Maybe you have a future hunting buddy!

Hey PA hunters,
Took a trip with the wife to New England earlier this summer. Drove through PA on 81/78 and passed through areas that I stomped around as a kid. Back in the late 60's and early 70's we always saw birds; my godfather has a small farm just on the outskirts of Fleetwood and we would watch the birds fly into a evergreen shelter belt in the evenings. Sad that they made such a decline but it is encouraging to hear all the success you are having now. Keep it up! Some day I might just have to drive from NC up there to chase wild pheasant.
Cheers,
Wolf

Thanks..I consider myself very lucky to be experiencing the comeback of pheasant hunting in Pa! It sounds like there will be a hunting trip in your future!

I hear ya diplomat. I'm going through the same thing right now with a new baby. Has made finding time to go scout difficult, but I'm hoping to find a day or two at the end of the month/beginning of September to head up to the South Central part to do some scouting. The PGC Map has been a great tool, but I still need to get out and visit some areas. Good luck with the baby and I hope you can find some time to get out this year!

haven't been on in a while. thanks for the well wishes on the baby. i think i might have to pass this year on venturing to pa. only so many weekends i can squeeze out of the house between deer and birds lol. I'm thinking of just taking day trips to the catskills for grouse. its coming soon! good luck to you guys

Thanks for the well wishes. My brother and I spent some good days together chasing grouse in the Catskills. Good luck to you also, and feel welcome to report back here about your NY grouse hunting!

Back